Monday, August 15, 2016

First Day of School 2016-2017


Today we kicked off our first year of official homeschool! We did Kindergarten last year, but being in actual 1st grade just feels so much more official.

I've done lots and lots of research to find what I think will work for us. Yahweh has had me cross paths with new homeschooling Mom friends that have been a deep well of information and encouragement.

those little sweeties! First grader Ruby and Pre-schooler Nora

Joining the ranks of millions of mothers before me who have taught their children at home, with a baby on their hip.
 For now, we're doing a mix of our Abeka curriculum (workbooks/flash cards/seat work, etc) and Charlotte Mason Method. If you don't know or haven't ever heard of Charlotte Mason, look her up! She's a teacher from the 1800's that wrote a whole philosophy on children and the way they learn and it's right up my alley.

She stresses "living books" (well written literature with engaging stories that capture the audience) being the best way to teach children as compared to textbooks with facts.
She believes that proper nutrition, well ventilated, clean homes and bedrooms, and being outside in nature (like A LOT) are all crucial to healthy and educated children.

I couldn't agree more Charlotte!


entertainment for baby Violet 

So, one day soon I'll write an official Home School post on what our days looks like but for now I just wanted to document what our first day looked like.

However - 

This particular first day got interrupted by some mega sickness. Fever, headache, and trying hard to throw up hit our little Ruby and we had to cut our day short. She's curled up asleep next to me as I type this, letting her body fight off this bug. Nora feels warm and says her tummy hurts too (it's been going around) so I couldn't be MORE THANKFUL to able to say "ok! we'll do more tomorrow, no big deal - let's all rest." 
Reason number one hundred and ninety three that I love home education.

No comments:

Monday, August 15, 2016

First Day of School 2016-2017


Today we kicked off our first year of official homeschool! We did Kindergarten last year, but being in actual 1st grade just feels so much more official.

I've done lots and lots of research to find what I think will work for us. Yahweh has had me cross paths with new homeschooling Mom friends that have been a deep well of information and encouragement.

those little sweeties! First grader Ruby and Pre-schooler Nora

Joining the ranks of millions of mothers before me who have taught their children at home, with a baby on their hip.
 For now, we're doing a mix of our Abeka curriculum (workbooks/flash cards/seat work, etc) and Charlotte Mason Method. If you don't know or haven't ever heard of Charlotte Mason, look her up! She's a teacher from the 1800's that wrote a whole philosophy on children and the way they learn and it's right up my alley.

She stresses "living books" (well written literature with engaging stories that capture the audience) being the best way to teach children as compared to textbooks with facts.
She believes that proper nutrition, well ventilated, clean homes and bedrooms, and being outside in nature (like A LOT) are all crucial to healthy and educated children.

I couldn't agree more Charlotte!


entertainment for baby Violet 

So, one day soon I'll write an official Home School post on what our days looks like but for now I just wanted to document what our first day looked like.

However - 

This particular first day got interrupted by some mega sickness. Fever, headache, and trying hard to throw up hit our little Ruby and we had to cut our day short. She's curled up asleep next to me as I type this, letting her body fight off this bug. Nora feels warm and says her tummy hurts too (it's been going around) so I couldn't be MORE THANKFUL to able to say "ok! we'll do more tomorrow, no big deal - let's all rest." 
Reason number one hundred and ninety three that I love home education.

No comments: