Tuesday, February 16, 2016

what some people call the "strong willed" child


She is amazingly strong.
She is happy one minute and furious the next.
She throws her body down and yells, but will soften her heart after discipline and apologize (sometimes on her own, sometimes because she has to)
She can fall and get seriously scratched up, but dust it off and get over it quickly. This is how she earned the nickname "Tuffy"
She'll be screaming mad that she can't buckle her car seat. Hair falling in her face, gritting her teeth, screaming with frustration. Then the seat belt clicks and she's all smiles. "There", she says, and moves on like nothing happened and the rest of us are like........
She is hilarious.
She's LOUD.
She's like a bull in a china shop.
She's unpredictable.
She's three.

This girl has given me a run for my money since Day 1. Her pregnancy and birth were an indication of the "firecracker child" she is. She is making me strong and vulnerable to Christ like never before. So for that I'm truly grateful. For any parents with kiddos like this, maybe this will help you because it's helped me-

Our children are not little mini-me versions of ourselves for ourselves. They are their OWN SELVES. From day one, they are them. And it's our job to teach them to submit to authority, guide them, and then let them go. This takes away a lot of the "personal disappointment" we can feel when they aren't like we think they should be.

These types of kids, if we parents do our jobs right, grow up to be amazing adults. They know who they are, they are tenacious, and they stick up for what they believe in. May we encourage that, and be quick to point out their good qualities instead of nag what's wrong.
In that seat belt scenario : "Way to not give up Nora! You did it, because you didn't give up! Next time take some deep breaths while you're most frustrated, that always helps me."
Granted, when I offer stuff like that to Nora she pretty much gives off the "no, i don't want to take deep breaths, that's dumb." vibe - but I don't care. I'm not here to be liked by her or for her to think I'm cool, I'm here to teach her truth. Whether it looks like she's receiving it in her heart or not can't stop me from delivering it.

EPHESIANS 6:4
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

Man oh man did this verse convict me. It's right after "Children obey your parents...."
I realized that because her little personality is challenging, I find myself retaliating with immaturity and provoking her. It's HARD to respond right over and over and over and over. And over. BUT WE MUST! We'll mess up. Lord knows, I do. But I'm getting better and better and soon I will always respond as I should to her. Me being firm in who Yahweh's called me to be as her mother will help HER flourish. 


p.s. Even though I made a point that they're their own selves, I have to admit that Nora is the next generation version of me. I was totally Nora as a toddler. And I turned out alright;) Good job, Mom!

NORA I love you, and I love being on this journey with you. You're gonna change the world, kiddo!

No comments:

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

what some people call the "strong willed" child


She is amazingly strong.
She is happy one minute and furious the next.
She throws her body down and yells, but will soften her heart after discipline and apologize (sometimes on her own, sometimes because she has to)
She can fall and get seriously scratched up, but dust it off and get over it quickly. This is how she earned the nickname "Tuffy"
She'll be screaming mad that she can't buckle her car seat. Hair falling in her face, gritting her teeth, screaming with frustration. Then the seat belt clicks and she's all smiles. "There", she says, and moves on like nothing happened and the rest of us are like........
She is hilarious.
She's LOUD.
She's like a bull in a china shop.
She's unpredictable.
She's three.

This girl has given me a run for my money since Day 1. Her pregnancy and birth were an indication of the "firecracker child" she is. She is making me strong and vulnerable to Christ like never before. So for that I'm truly grateful. For any parents with kiddos like this, maybe this will help you because it's helped me-

Our children are not little mini-me versions of ourselves for ourselves. They are their OWN SELVES. From day one, they are them. And it's our job to teach them to submit to authority, guide them, and then let them go. This takes away a lot of the "personal disappointment" we can feel when they aren't like we think they should be.

These types of kids, if we parents do our jobs right, grow up to be amazing adults. They know who they are, they are tenacious, and they stick up for what they believe in. May we encourage that, and be quick to point out their good qualities instead of nag what's wrong.
In that seat belt scenario : "Way to not give up Nora! You did it, because you didn't give up! Next time take some deep breaths while you're most frustrated, that always helps me."
Granted, when I offer stuff like that to Nora she pretty much gives off the "no, i don't want to take deep breaths, that's dumb." vibe - but I don't care. I'm not here to be liked by her or for her to think I'm cool, I'm here to teach her truth. Whether it looks like she's receiving it in her heart or not can't stop me from delivering it.

EPHESIANS 6:4
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

Man oh man did this verse convict me. It's right after "Children obey your parents...."
I realized that because her little personality is challenging, I find myself retaliating with immaturity and provoking her. It's HARD to respond right over and over and over and over. And over. BUT WE MUST! We'll mess up. Lord knows, I do. But I'm getting better and better and soon I will always respond as I should to her. Me being firm in who Yahweh's called me to be as her mother will help HER flourish. 


p.s. Even though I made a point that they're their own selves, I have to admit that Nora is the next generation version of me. I was totally Nora as a toddler. And I turned out alright;) Good job, Mom!

NORA I love you, and I love being on this journey with you. You're gonna change the world, kiddo!

No comments: