Monday, July 8, 2013

our health conscious- brag fest


This little thing...she is amazing, I tell you. She blows me away with what she comprehends at age 3.
I forget sometimes that she's only three because she is really quite smart.

She knows good and well what we believe, nutritionally. And what's better - she knows why we believe so.

We walked into Sam's Club on a Saturday and a woman was passing out suckers to all the kids walking in. We walked past and she handed one to Ruby and Ruby held her hands up, scrunched her nose and said "no, thank you". I was SO FLIPPIN proud of her. I couldn't believe that she made that decision all by herself! So I promptly walked her over to the berry section and she got a whole little carton of organic red raspberries. Because what we teach her is that life isn't NO TREATS it's about choosing the RIGHT kind of treat. She said no to a nutritionally-void sucker and yes to yummy fresh berries, all on her own. (Actually, she said no to the sucker even before she knew berries were an option)


this was only maybe a month ago and she already looks so much older than this
Last night, we worked on getting the house back to normal post-vacation and Kevin went out to do yard-work. It had been a good, long day of work and to celebrate we thought we'd go get some ice cream/frozen yogurt at Braum's. Honestly, not that enjoyable for me but Kev likes it every now and then and we wanted to do something as a family.
We walked in to tell Ruby, thinking her eyes would light up with excitement.
"Ruby, GUESS WHAT? We are all going to get in the car and go get ICE CREAM!"
"Is it healthy? Will it hurt my stomach?" (one time she ate ice cream and got siiiiick)

*crickets*
Me and Kev look at each other. And with our eyes said crap - she's right.
We aren't going to lie and say "this time it's healthy" or some other lousy/lazy excuse. She wants the truth and we are truthful people.

"You're right, Ruby. It's not. There's lots and lots of sugar and other yucky stuff in there. Let's make healthy milkshakes here!" (cocoa powder, bananas, peanut butter, and a bit of honey with a handful of ice...amazing) And we had apples and our favorite pb/honey mixture along with it.
Our sweet tooth was satisfied.
It was free.
No gas was used up.
We felt amazing afterwards.
Because of our 3 year old.

And then? We went on a family run. And we laughed that had we gone to Braum's we'd have spent money, rode around in a car, eaten crap and felt like crap and then come home. And now, we were out running thanks to our daughter's correction.

Ruby, girl, you're cool as grits.


2 comments:

Aunt Kristi said...

Have I said how much I LOVE your blog?!?! I'm not religious or spiritual, but reading your blog completely uplifts me. Not sure how you do it, but you do! Your little family is so precious and I love seeing all the changes in your lives. Shannon said something about you all making it to Iowa in July. Please, PLEASE let me know when so I can come to see you all. Even if it's only for an hour!

Also, would you consider accepting my coworker to view your blog. I'm always showing her and sharing and although she is 41, I tell you two would be "besties!" She's a great coworker and has been very good to my kids and grandkids. Her email is hksiazek@gmail.com (Heather Ksiazek). She and her husband have done such an awesome job raising their two kids--Tucker 17 and Tatum 15. Anyway, if you would give her blog permission, we'd both love it!!

Thanks! Hope I see you soon!

jessica kiehn said...

Kristi! I love to hear from you. About visiting in July, at least for our little family, we aren't going because we have already been to Florida for our family vacation and I just flew to a dear friend's wedding in North Carolina. Maybe Shannon's family is considering? I know they are remodeling a house right now so they've got their hands full. But if we ever DID get up to Iowa we would SO get together with you!

I will send an invite email to your friend, no problem. It's a shame I only blog every now and then but my plate is rather full these days:)

Be blessed, love you!

Monday, July 8, 2013

our health conscious- brag fest


This little thing...she is amazing, I tell you. She blows me away with what she comprehends at age 3.
I forget sometimes that she's only three because she is really quite smart.

She knows good and well what we believe, nutritionally. And what's better - she knows why we believe so.

We walked into Sam's Club on a Saturday and a woman was passing out suckers to all the kids walking in. We walked past and she handed one to Ruby and Ruby held her hands up, scrunched her nose and said "no, thank you". I was SO FLIPPIN proud of her. I couldn't believe that she made that decision all by herself! So I promptly walked her over to the berry section and she got a whole little carton of organic red raspberries. Because what we teach her is that life isn't NO TREATS it's about choosing the RIGHT kind of treat. She said no to a nutritionally-void sucker and yes to yummy fresh berries, all on her own. (Actually, she said no to the sucker even before she knew berries were an option)


this was only maybe a month ago and she already looks so much older than this
Last night, we worked on getting the house back to normal post-vacation and Kevin went out to do yard-work. It had been a good, long day of work and to celebrate we thought we'd go get some ice cream/frozen yogurt at Braum's. Honestly, not that enjoyable for me but Kev likes it every now and then and we wanted to do something as a family.
We walked in to tell Ruby, thinking her eyes would light up with excitement.
"Ruby, GUESS WHAT? We are all going to get in the car and go get ICE CREAM!"
"Is it healthy? Will it hurt my stomach?" (one time she ate ice cream and got siiiiick)

*crickets*
Me and Kev look at each other. And with our eyes said crap - she's right.
We aren't going to lie and say "this time it's healthy" or some other lousy/lazy excuse. She wants the truth and we are truthful people.

"You're right, Ruby. It's not. There's lots and lots of sugar and other yucky stuff in there. Let's make healthy milkshakes here!" (cocoa powder, bananas, peanut butter, and a bit of honey with a handful of ice...amazing) And we had apples and our favorite pb/honey mixture along with it.
Our sweet tooth was satisfied.
It was free.
No gas was used up.
We felt amazing afterwards.
Because of our 3 year old.

And then? We went on a family run. And we laughed that had we gone to Braum's we'd have spent money, rode around in a car, eaten crap and felt like crap and then come home. And now, we were out running thanks to our daughter's correction.

Ruby, girl, you're cool as grits.


2 comments:

Aunt Kristi said...

Have I said how much I LOVE your blog?!?! I'm not religious or spiritual, but reading your blog completely uplifts me. Not sure how you do it, but you do! Your little family is so precious and I love seeing all the changes in your lives. Shannon said something about you all making it to Iowa in July. Please, PLEASE let me know when so I can come to see you all. Even if it's only for an hour!

Also, would you consider accepting my coworker to view your blog. I'm always showing her and sharing and although she is 41, I tell you two would be "besties!" She's a great coworker and has been very good to my kids and grandkids. Her email is hksiazek@gmail.com (Heather Ksiazek). She and her husband have done such an awesome job raising their two kids--Tucker 17 and Tatum 15. Anyway, if you would give her blog permission, we'd both love it!!

Thanks! Hope I see you soon!

jessica kiehn said...

Kristi! I love to hear from you. About visiting in July, at least for our little family, we aren't going because we have already been to Florida for our family vacation and I just flew to a dear friend's wedding in North Carolina. Maybe Shannon's family is considering? I know they are remodeling a house right now so they've got their hands full. But if we ever DID get up to Iowa we would SO get together with you!

I will send an invite email to your friend, no problem. It's a shame I only blog every now and then but my plate is rather full these days:)

Be blessed, love you!