Wednesday, April 3, 2013

never too early to start

yes, X is on there twice. that's one she's working extra hard on.
Ruby and I have started "homeschooling" a little early.
It's just your typical things mamas do with their preschoolers, but I make sure to make her think it's cool and special and associate learning with FUN because in a couple of years when we actually do start our homeschooling then it will be familiar and already cool. (hopefully!)
I know she feels super special that we clear the table and sit down and make it a special "Ruby" time where she has my 100% attention and lots of words of affirmation.


I can already tell that she is a perfectionist and gets frustrated if she doesn't do it great the first time. I'm going to have to teach her that imperfection is part of learning and really impart grace to her. I know how she feels. As we all know, I can be so hard on myself as well. Hate to see yucky stuff in you that you're dealing with show up in your kids.
Trusting Holy Spirit to show us how to walk this out and deal with it together!

after writing the letters, we molded their shapes with play-doh.
(i found this great notebook at a school-supply store here locally)
In the meantime - GO RUBY! My little alphabet queen!
It's such a fun and beautiful thing to be the one teaching your children something and see them "get" it.

post script: this was the first day we had really sat down to write out all of the letters. We've done it more since then and she just keeps getting awesome at it. Writes all the letters and writes them VERY well (s, x, and z are a little artistic:) ) 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I am not just saying this. Listen to me when I say this!! This is beyond the normal level an early 3 can do. This is at least gifted. If not genius. Mark these words!!!

{annie_loo} @ The Farrar Four said...

I am so impressed! I'm with Leslie! This is WAY beyond 3! Now, Easton is smart- sharp as a tack...but writing...this is impressive! Sister! I'm super impressed with this! Good for you for working with her! I think I'll try some of these little books with Easton! That would be a fun little activity!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

never too early to start

yes, X is on there twice. that's one she's working extra hard on.
Ruby and I have started "homeschooling" a little early.
It's just your typical things mamas do with their preschoolers, but I make sure to make her think it's cool and special and associate learning with FUN because in a couple of years when we actually do start our homeschooling then it will be familiar and already cool. (hopefully!)
I know she feels super special that we clear the table and sit down and make it a special "Ruby" time where she has my 100% attention and lots of words of affirmation.


I can already tell that she is a perfectionist and gets frustrated if she doesn't do it great the first time. I'm going to have to teach her that imperfection is part of learning and really impart grace to her. I know how she feels. As we all know, I can be so hard on myself as well. Hate to see yucky stuff in you that you're dealing with show up in your kids.
Trusting Holy Spirit to show us how to walk this out and deal with it together!

after writing the letters, we molded their shapes with play-doh.
(i found this great notebook at a school-supply store here locally)
In the meantime - GO RUBY! My little alphabet queen!
It's such a fun and beautiful thing to be the one teaching your children something and see them "get" it.

post script: this was the first day we had really sat down to write out all of the letters. We've done it more since then and she just keeps getting awesome at it. Writes all the letters and writes them VERY well (s, x, and z are a little artistic:) ) 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I am not just saying this. Listen to me when I say this!! This is beyond the normal level an early 3 can do. This is at least gifted. If not genius. Mark these words!!!

{annie_loo} @ The Farrar Four said...

I am so impressed! I'm with Leslie! This is WAY beyond 3! Now, Easton is smart- sharp as a tack...but writing...this is impressive! Sister! I'm super impressed with this! Good for you for working with her! I think I'll try some of these little books with Easton! That would be a fun little activity!