Friday, October 5, 2012

what were we thinking? + disclaimer


This is the couch we have (well, close enough).
And while it is totally our style and totally beautiful (in my opinion) it is SO NOT PRACTICAL WHILE LIVING WITH TODDLERS.
Oh my.
Microsuede.
What were we thinking?!
Nora spits up and it leaves and serious dark water stain.
Ruby eats her pb + honey sandwhich, it drizzles and clumps on her hands, and then she's all over the couch.
And the best part about this material...it just doesn't clean. Because the place we bought it from didn't have a Scotchguard option like the first microsuede couch we bought.
When you use stuff to clean it, THAT leaves a mark.
So it looks like we are the nastiest, dirtiest people on earth.

Oh well. We'll find a way to keep it clean.
Isn't parenting the funniest, most exhausting thing on earth?!
I am currently sitting in the dark in Ruby's room at the end of her tiny bed typing this up because I just needed 5 seconds to myself.
Nora is in the bouncy seat in the living room while Ruby reads and sings to her.
Ahhhh peace and quiet:)

I tried to workout first thing this morning and Nora wouldn't allow it. Screaming to be held. Just held. No problems or needs, just held. Sigh. Sorry Jillian Michaels, I tried.

oh! I have a disclaimer:
I found a way to print my blog into book form. From the very get-go I meant for this blog to be something our children can look back on for memory's sake. And now it will be! I keep thinking "oh my gosh what if I print these books and the house burns down" but I'll let that go. Anyways, sorry folks but from now on - this place is a letter written by me to my children and my husband. I want to capture lessons and memories and recipes and events FOR US. So in other words...going to be awesome for my family, but for you - the most boring thing you'll read all day. Feel free to slowly fade us off your daily read list because it's going to get very Kiehn around here.

With that being said, 
today we are refinancing our house! It will save us $100 a month on our mortgage. Not much, but with our humble income, it certainly helps. We will continue paying that $100 every month but put it towards our car.
Girls - your Dad and I are learning now so that we can teach you. PAY CASH FOR EVERYTHING.
We have no debt to our names besides our house and one car. (Praise Yahweh)
But we desire to be completely debt free. 

Yahweh is a Father and He teaches us as we go. He's starting us off with the car. Teaching us how to pay that thing off in full quickly. You know the garage sale we just had? We did that in obedience to the Holy Spirit because we asked Him ways to pay the car off since we don't have any extra money coming in and then He showed us that we have tons of things we can sell WHILE cleaning out and purging and renewing. We made $430 on that garage sale and put it all towards the car. Hallelujah!

Yahweh doesn't have any money. Don't ever pray for more money. Pray for instructions, direction. And then listen. He'll tell you what to do (garage sale), you'll obey those instructions, and then your need will be provided through your obedience ($430). He's amazing. His Kingdom and His order is simple.
  

3 comments:

KimKlip71 said...

Yes microsuede does show everything!!! Ours even has a stain protectant and it doesn't seem to matter. Our next couch is going to be one from Ikea with washable slip covers.

I found a blog on pinterest that someone gave steps on how to clean a microsuede. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to very soon. I will email you the link or if you follow me on pinterest it's under my cleaning board. It's basically rubbing alcohol, a sponge (white or the color of your couch) and a brush.

Good job on that garage sale!

Haley Galloway said...

Ok! I found this blog that screams Jessica! It's riddlelove.com check it out! It's Jeremy riddles wife and she has a ton of real food recipes and it just totally reminded me of you. And micro suede is just the worst. We have a red micro suede sectional just like that and it sucks because it shows everything but check Pinterest because I found a tutorial on how to clean it.

Meghan said...

We had that exact couch. Anytime we were tired of the marks from stains and cleaner stains, we would break down and rent a rug doctor. It looks fabulous after the rug doctor. But we could only afford that bad boy about 2 times a year! We borrowed a carpet cleaner with an attachment from a friend and it worked just like a rug doctor. We have since invested in one :) In the long run-it saves the rug doctor rental money and pays for itself!

I personally love reading your blog. You inspire me. You make me laugh. You are genuine and real. I am at this stage of life with young ones, and in the midst of taking care of them-working. I relate on so many levels and love being encouraged by your love for Christ and zest for life with God, family and friends. You exude positive influence and a great attitude! Thank you.

Friday, October 5, 2012

what were we thinking? + disclaimer


This is the couch we have (well, close enough).
And while it is totally our style and totally beautiful (in my opinion) it is SO NOT PRACTICAL WHILE LIVING WITH TODDLERS.
Oh my.
Microsuede.
What were we thinking?!
Nora spits up and it leaves and serious dark water stain.
Ruby eats her pb + honey sandwhich, it drizzles and clumps on her hands, and then she's all over the couch.
And the best part about this material...it just doesn't clean. Because the place we bought it from didn't have a Scotchguard option like the first microsuede couch we bought.
When you use stuff to clean it, THAT leaves a mark.
So it looks like we are the nastiest, dirtiest people on earth.

Oh well. We'll find a way to keep it clean.
Isn't parenting the funniest, most exhausting thing on earth?!
I am currently sitting in the dark in Ruby's room at the end of her tiny bed typing this up because I just needed 5 seconds to myself.
Nora is in the bouncy seat in the living room while Ruby reads and sings to her.
Ahhhh peace and quiet:)

I tried to workout first thing this morning and Nora wouldn't allow it. Screaming to be held. Just held. No problems or needs, just held. Sigh. Sorry Jillian Michaels, I tried.

oh! I have a disclaimer:
I found a way to print my blog into book form. From the very get-go I meant for this blog to be something our children can look back on for memory's sake. And now it will be! I keep thinking "oh my gosh what if I print these books and the house burns down" but I'll let that go. Anyways, sorry folks but from now on - this place is a letter written by me to my children and my husband. I want to capture lessons and memories and recipes and events FOR US. So in other words...going to be awesome for my family, but for you - the most boring thing you'll read all day. Feel free to slowly fade us off your daily read list because it's going to get very Kiehn around here.

With that being said, 
today we are refinancing our house! It will save us $100 a month on our mortgage. Not much, but with our humble income, it certainly helps. We will continue paying that $100 every month but put it towards our car.
Girls - your Dad and I are learning now so that we can teach you. PAY CASH FOR EVERYTHING.
We have no debt to our names besides our house and one car. (Praise Yahweh)
But we desire to be completely debt free. 

Yahweh is a Father and He teaches us as we go. He's starting us off with the car. Teaching us how to pay that thing off in full quickly. You know the garage sale we just had? We did that in obedience to the Holy Spirit because we asked Him ways to pay the car off since we don't have any extra money coming in and then He showed us that we have tons of things we can sell WHILE cleaning out and purging and renewing. We made $430 on that garage sale and put it all towards the car. Hallelujah!

Yahweh doesn't have any money. Don't ever pray for more money. Pray for instructions, direction. And then listen. He'll tell you what to do (garage sale), you'll obey those instructions, and then your need will be provided through your obedience ($430). He's amazing. His Kingdom and His order is simple.
  

3 comments:

KimKlip71 said...

Yes microsuede does show everything!!! Ours even has a stain protectant and it doesn't seem to matter. Our next couch is going to be one from Ikea with washable slip covers.

I found a blog on pinterest that someone gave steps on how to clean a microsuede. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to very soon. I will email you the link or if you follow me on pinterest it's under my cleaning board. It's basically rubbing alcohol, a sponge (white or the color of your couch) and a brush.

Good job on that garage sale!

Haley Galloway said...

Ok! I found this blog that screams Jessica! It's riddlelove.com check it out! It's Jeremy riddles wife and she has a ton of real food recipes and it just totally reminded me of you. And micro suede is just the worst. We have a red micro suede sectional just like that and it sucks because it shows everything but check Pinterest because I found a tutorial on how to clean it.

Meghan said...

We had that exact couch. Anytime we were tired of the marks from stains and cleaner stains, we would break down and rent a rug doctor. It looks fabulous after the rug doctor. But we could only afford that bad boy about 2 times a year! We borrowed a carpet cleaner with an attachment from a friend and it worked just like a rug doctor. We have since invested in one :) In the long run-it saves the rug doctor rental money and pays for itself!

I personally love reading your blog. You inspire me. You make me laugh. You are genuine and real. I am at this stage of life with young ones, and in the midst of taking care of them-working. I relate on so many levels and love being encouraged by your love for Christ and zest for life with God, family and friends. You exude positive influence and a great attitude! Thank you.