Monday, September 3, 2012

pumpkin muffins + how i bake

i am a terrible food photographer. that stuff on the left looks like, well, nevermind.


Kevin and I say so long as people keep bringing us meals and desserts for a week, we will keep having babies:)
One of our dear friends made us a bangin' meal the week Nora was born and for dessert, made us these muffins.

I am a serious fan of muffins. They are the perfect pair to a yummy cup of coffee in the morning, and a great little snack throughout the day. You can take them with you and they require a one-time baking ordeal with an 18-time enjoyment deal.
My kind of math.

Anyways, I thought I'd share the recipe and also how this momma bakes.
I rarely ever follow a recipe to a tee, because most recipes aren't the way we eat.
There are healthy and holistic substitutions for just about anything, and I like the fact that we aren't too limited, because you can substitute so many ingredients.

The recipe:
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins
1.5 C of flour (I use brown rice flour. Or I'd use oat flour - oats ground up in our blender to make flour. Or almond flour which is amazing in baked goods. Or, lastly I'd chose spelt. It still has gluten, but it's not been genetically modified. Basically, we just never ever bake with regular wheat flour.)
1 C of sugar (I use half cup maple syrup and half cup honey. Sugar is another ingredient that we never, ever bake with. Never. Honey has so many nutritional benefits and maple syrup is the same way. This also makes things so moist. And maple adds the best flavor to everything!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder (I just make sure to use aluminum-free baking powder)
1 tsp. each - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin spice, cloves (all I had was cinnamon and pumpkin spice which IS allspice, nutmeg, and cinn so I just did a TBSP of cinn and pump spice)
1 tsp salt
1 ripe banana mashed
1 can pumpkin puree
1/3 C olive oil or applesauce (I didn't have applesauce, but that's a great substitute for oil in baking. I don't put olive oil in baked goods, so for this I used coconut oil. Adds another subtle but tasty flavor!)
1/3 C water (I used Holy Water from Jerusalem)
Kidding.

Preheat oven to 350.
mix dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined.
fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 mins.

*this isn't to say that we don't ever eat sugar, or even regular wheat when we're out or at other people's houses. But at home and as much as we can, we just stay away from gluten, sugar, and dairy in general. But please don't think we don't ever do anything bad like eat at Chik-fil-a because...we do*

These are the most moist muffins that will ever grace your tongue.
Perfect for fall!
And spring and summer and winter.

Thanks for the delicious recipe that will be a regular in our house, Rebecca!

5 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

Holy water from jerusalem - laughed my butt off! Love the recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Haley Galloway said...

Yum! Bet those are good!
And you are too stinkin funny, girl!

Emily Kaiser said...

Yum! She brought them to us when Grace was born too! Between the 4 of us, they were gone in 24 hours. I will definitely be using this recipe! Thanks!

Sheryl said...

I tried baking with the holy water and they were divine!!;)

Rebecca said...

i dont use the sugar very often either, honey, agave or maple syrup are my go-to's as well....but you clearly figured that out without me writing it in there. haha and oat flour in these suckers is delish!! :) I'm so glad you liked them to the point of making a post about it! hahah :)

Oh, and water from Jerusalem?! BA-HA!!!! Next time, try getting your water from the fountain of youth....hello 16!!

Monday, September 3, 2012

pumpkin muffins + how i bake

i am a terrible food photographer. that stuff on the left looks like, well, nevermind.


Kevin and I say so long as people keep bringing us meals and desserts for a week, we will keep having babies:)
One of our dear friends made us a bangin' meal the week Nora was born and for dessert, made us these muffins.

I am a serious fan of muffins. They are the perfect pair to a yummy cup of coffee in the morning, and a great little snack throughout the day. You can take them with you and they require a one-time baking ordeal with an 18-time enjoyment deal.
My kind of math.

Anyways, I thought I'd share the recipe and also how this momma bakes.
I rarely ever follow a recipe to a tee, because most recipes aren't the way we eat.
There are healthy and holistic substitutions for just about anything, and I like the fact that we aren't too limited, because you can substitute so many ingredients.

The recipe:
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins
1.5 C of flour (I use brown rice flour. Or I'd use oat flour - oats ground up in our blender to make flour. Or almond flour which is amazing in baked goods. Or, lastly I'd chose spelt. It still has gluten, but it's not been genetically modified. Basically, we just never ever bake with regular wheat flour.)
1 C of sugar (I use half cup maple syrup and half cup honey. Sugar is another ingredient that we never, ever bake with. Never. Honey has so many nutritional benefits and maple syrup is the same way. This also makes things so moist. And maple adds the best flavor to everything!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder (I just make sure to use aluminum-free baking powder)
1 tsp. each - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin spice, cloves (all I had was cinnamon and pumpkin spice which IS allspice, nutmeg, and cinn so I just did a TBSP of cinn and pump spice)
1 tsp salt
1 ripe banana mashed
1 can pumpkin puree
1/3 C olive oil or applesauce (I didn't have applesauce, but that's a great substitute for oil in baking. I don't put olive oil in baked goods, so for this I used coconut oil. Adds another subtle but tasty flavor!)
1/3 C water (I used Holy Water from Jerusalem)
Kidding.

Preheat oven to 350.
mix dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined.
fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 mins.

*this isn't to say that we don't ever eat sugar, or even regular wheat when we're out or at other people's houses. But at home and as much as we can, we just stay away from gluten, sugar, and dairy in general. But please don't think we don't ever do anything bad like eat at Chik-fil-a because...we do*

These are the most moist muffins that will ever grace your tongue.
Perfect for fall!
And spring and summer and winter.

Thanks for the delicious recipe that will be a regular in our house, Rebecca!

5 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

Holy water from jerusalem - laughed my butt off! Love the recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Haley Galloway said...

Yum! Bet those are good!
And you are too stinkin funny, girl!

Emily Kaiser said...

Yum! She brought them to us when Grace was born too! Between the 4 of us, they were gone in 24 hours. I will definitely be using this recipe! Thanks!

Sheryl said...

I tried baking with the holy water and they were divine!!;)

Rebecca said...

i dont use the sugar very often either, honey, agave or maple syrup are my go-to's as well....but you clearly figured that out without me writing it in there. haha and oat flour in these suckers is delish!! :) I'm so glad you liked them to the point of making a post about it! hahah :)

Oh, and water from Jerusalem?! BA-HA!!!! Next time, try getting your water from the fountain of youth....hello 16!!