Thursday, September 6, 2012

family sabbath

The Holy Spirit has been so strongly ministering to me lately. Not necessarily because He's speaking louder, but because I'm being quiet enough to listen.
Life can so quickly get so hectic. Honestly and realistically, it can. 
The days can feel like a blur and you got so much accomplished yet so much more needs to be done and you're needed in so many places and so many things need attention.

I can only run the rat race for only so long.
At some point my spirit inside of me gets starving and just screams out for my Father.
I long to slow down.
To be present. Not just around my girls all day doing all that needs ("needs") to be done around the house, but with my girls.

Kevin and I have a revelation about a sabbath. Not just Sunday, which seems to be the common understanding. What? I went to church and I didn't work today! I gave God a sabbath!
Well, I guess.
But really, what is a Sabbath?

For our family, it's setting aside a day (we chose Saturday but it can be any day you want, I believe) to say no to our huge list of to-dos, no to this party invite, or that ballgame invite, and to take time as a family, just the four of us, to press into Yahweh and seek His heart. 

That doesn't mean we spend all day in a prayer closet with our foreheads wrinkled because we're praying so hard and are all secretly miserable because we're doing something out of "have to" instead of "want to". That's the difference between being religious and being filled by the Spirit.




This past Saturday was so cool because we were fervently asking Yahweh exactly what a Sabbath is. The whole purpose of it is the same reason He requires the tithe: Give me 10% and I will bless the 90% left over above and beyond what you yourself could have done with the one 100%.
Give Me one day of the week to lay down what you think you have to get done, and use that day to honor Me and seek My heart and what I have for you, and I will bless the other six days and you'll have all the time you need to get done what you need to get done.




It can be whatever God tells you and your husband it is. It's just a day to spend time not being busy, to spend time as a family. Watching the big game together (although we personally don't really turn the TV on on our sabbath), going out on the boat, going shopping together, the library, backyard picnic, whatever. And taking time from that day to hear God's voice speak to your family and to worship Him.



Not only is it an awesome opportunity to really stop the hectic-ness of life and hear what our Father is saying, but it is such a fun, sweet time as a family.
Last week on our sabbath we went on a hike and it was so beautiful to be out in Yahweh's creation, praying and worshiping together out loud, talking about what we're hearing, watching our little toddler up the path in front of us squeal at squirrels and bugs, and our heavy little newborn, passed out on her daddy's chest in the carrier.







We are learning as we let the Holy Spirit prioritize our lives and we obey what He asks us to do, life just keeps getting better and better.


1 comment:

Leslie said...

Ok, that photo of R&N together, she is SO proud to be a big sister. You can see it all over her face! I love that.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

family sabbath

The Holy Spirit has been so strongly ministering to me lately. Not necessarily because He's speaking louder, but because I'm being quiet enough to listen.
Life can so quickly get so hectic. Honestly and realistically, it can. 
The days can feel like a blur and you got so much accomplished yet so much more needs to be done and you're needed in so many places and so many things need attention.

I can only run the rat race for only so long.
At some point my spirit inside of me gets starving and just screams out for my Father.
I long to slow down.
To be present. Not just around my girls all day doing all that needs ("needs") to be done around the house, but with my girls.

Kevin and I have a revelation about a sabbath. Not just Sunday, which seems to be the common understanding. What? I went to church and I didn't work today! I gave God a sabbath!
Well, I guess.
But really, what is a Sabbath?

For our family, it's setting aside a day (we chose Saturday but it can be any day you want, I believe) to say no to our huge list of to-dos, no to this party invite, or that ballgame invite, and to take time as a family, just the four of us, to press into Yahweh and seek His heart. 

That doesn't mean we spend all day in a prayer closet with our foreheads wrinkled because we're praying so hard and are all secretly miserable because we're doing something out of "have to" instead of "want to". That's the difference between being religious and being filled by the Spirit.




This past Saturday was so cool because we were fervently asking Yahweh exactly what a Sabbath is. The whole purpose of it is the same reason He requires the tithe: Give me 10% and I will bless the 90% left over above and beyond what you yourself could have done with the one 100%.
Give Me one day of the week to lay down what you think you have to get done, and use that day to honor Me and seek My heart and what I have for you, and I will bless the other six days and you'll have all the time you need to get done what you need to get done.




It can be whatever God tells you and your husband it is. It's just a day to spend time not being busy, to spend time as a family. Watching the big game together (although we personally don't really turn the TV on on our sabbath), going out on the boat, going shopping together, the library, backyard picnic, whatever. And taking time from that day to hear God's voice speak to your family and to worship Him.



Not only is it an awesome opportunity to really stop the hectic-ness of life and hear what our Father is saying, but it is such a fun, sweet time as a family.
Last week on our sabbath we went on a hike and it was so beautiful to be out in Yahweh's creation, praying and worshiping together out loud, talking about what we're hearing, watching our little toddler up the path in front of us squeal at squirrels and bugs, and our heavy little newborn, passed out on her daddy's chest in the carrier.







We are learning as we let the Holy Spirit prioritize our lives and we obey what He asks us to do, life just keeps getting better and better.


1 comment:

Leslie said...

Ok, that photo of R&N together, she is SO proud to be a big sister. You can see it all over her face! I love that.