Friday, August 17, 2012

twins + home birth answers


Kevin and his identical twin.
Her looks really have changed since this picture (crazy how fast it all goes) but she is still a spitting image of her Daddy.
Which is fine by me, 'cause I think Kevin is pretty darn cute.


I received several questions about the home birth post and I thought I'd answer them on here:

*first I want to say...the birth you choose is a personal conviction and a personal decision. There is no reason to feel less than or better than because of your birth story compared to another. If none of your births turned out the way you wanted...that's okay. It's over now and there's nothing you can do about it. But you have your babies here! That's what really matters. Healthy, happy babies.*

Will you have more kids? Absolutely.


Why do you think it was so intense? This is interesting. Our second midwife Lucy came over the other day to fill out and have us sign the papers for the birth certificate and we got to talking about the birth. She said she learned a lot from my birth and she thinks my labor was so intense because they had given me every labor-inducing herb out there. She said it was basically like I had pitocin again. Lovely! She personally had 3 of her babies at home and she said the very worst labor was the one where the midwife gave her Black and Blue Cohosh, which are herbs that makes the uterus contract and release. I laughed because that was just ONE of the many, many herbs I took to get my labor going.

Lesson learned: next time I'm doing no labor-inducing herbs. Elizabeth always says "when the fruit is ripe, it falls off the tree." In other words - leave it alone. The baby will come when my body and the baby is ready.

I also don't think I want to get checked to see my dilation/progression next time because it just messed with me mentally. The world stopped and stood still for almost 5 days because I was told I was in labor, when, if I had no idea where I was dilation-wise, I would have gone about my life and just called on Tuesday morning when the real labor started.


Will you do home birth again? Yep. As painful as it was, it was amazing.
The truth is: birth hurts.
And your options are
-c-section in the hospital. No pain when the baby is being taken out, but SERIOUS recovery. I mean, that's a major surgery.
-hospital birth with epidural and pitocin. Doesn't hurt too bad in the actual labor and delivery but it beats the tar out of your body. Since you're numb to the pain and laying on your back (worst position to birth a baby ever!) and pushing when they tell you to, you have no idea how hard you're pushing your body- you can't feel it. You can't feel when to ease off and breathe or rest for a bit. It's a brutal combination that ends up usually in a severely torn perineum, a very very sore body, and feeling out of it from all the drugs.
-a natural birth. The most pain during the labor and delivery but the recovery is out of this world. Because you get to move during birth. You get to rest. You get to try different positions that feel more comfortable. You get to feel "this is too much, let me rest through this next contraction" etc. I can't tell you how amazing the recovery with a home birth is.

So the point is, when you bring a baby into the earth, it's probably going to hurt at some point. Do some research and pray about what is the right choice for you and your family.


Why did you choose home birth? Because I very strongly believe in the female body and it's abilities. I am very blessed to have a good body to birth babies healthily (no small hip bones, or narrow this or that) and I don't take that lightly. I believe in trusting my body and my baby and the process that is birth. I believe it's the most natural thing on earth, I knew I could do it. You are immune to the things in your home, your home is the safest environment for you and your family - I like all of that. It doesn't really make sense to me to birth your baby in a huge building where all the sick people are and where disease is everywhere.
I chose home birth because I knew my midwife and her reputation and have seen and talked to so many of her apprentices, birth mothers and their babies, fellow colleagues, etc. and knew she was amazing at what she did. Story after story of how she saved this baby or came up with this new position for a stuck baby. She is truly amazing at what she does and I trust her. She knows the line between doing things safely at home, and the point when having your baby at home is no longer an option and it's time to transfer to the hospital for intervention.
I chose home birth, mainly, because I felt a calling from the Lord to do so. I believe He asked me to do it with Ruby, but I got scared. I told myself that surely I wasn't hearing Him correctly, and I just went with the birth I saw everyone else doing. I was scared. I was afraid of the pain and of the unknown and THAT'S what bums me out. If only women knew how strong they can be. Our society doesn't even give us a chance.
They've made birth be one way and one way only, and that's go to the hospital and numb yourself and therefore not get to experience the overwhelming pain and beauty of birth.

Why can't we believe in ourselves to do what we can do? What our bodies so beautifully and naturally do? I wish that our culture encouraged and respected women and birth more. I wish every woman believed in themselves to bring their babies into the world solely relying on the strength from Yahweh God Almighty to get them through, and trusting the strength of their bodies to finish the task it started.


Thank you to all of you for your kind words and wishes about Nora's arrival.
Thanks for reading all my very strong opinions:)

Believe in yourself. You can do the hard things He's called you to.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Jessica, you lovely little toughie, you. Excellent post.

Christi said...

If that was your experience in the hospital with Ruby, that makes me sad and mad at the same time! It doesnt have to be horrible like that! I had great natural experiences that hurt like hell even in the hospital LOL!! And I was up and running afterwards like the energizer bunny within 1 to 2 days. I see more now than ever how blessed we were that Jordan was delivered by a midwife, and we happened to be the only people in the entire baby wing of the hospital (talk about pampering afterwards!) I almost had Marvin deliver Hannah at home but went ahead with the hospital and had another great experience. However, if there is another it will certainly be a water birth at home...now if I could just get Philip to agree to another one! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this all, and I learned a few things as well! Thank you for the info and testimony to experience! I especially love your disclaimer so to speak in the beginning. Even if your experience isn't to a T your desire or negative in any way, having that baby in your arms after is pure heaven on earth! Nora is totally Kevin's twin and it's too cute! We love you Kiehns! - Jenny Galloway

Friday, August 17, 2012

twins + home birth answers


Kevin and his identical twin.
Her looks really have changed since this picture (crazy how fast it all goes) but she is still a spitting image of her Daddy.
Which is fine by me, 'cause I think Kevin is pretty darn cute.


I received several questions about the home birth post and I thought I'd answer them on here:

*first I want to say...the birth you choose is a personal conviction and a personal decision. There is no reason to feel less than or better than because of your birth story compared to another. If none of your births turned out the way you wanted...that's okay. It's over now and there's nothing you can do about it. But you have your babies here! That's what really matters. Healthy, happy babies.*

Will you have more kids? Absolutely.


Why do you think it was so intense? This is interesting. Our second midwife Lucy came over the other day to fill out and have us sign the papers for the birth certificate and we got to talking about the birth. She said she learned a lot from my birth and she thinks my labor was so intense because they had given me every labor-inducing herb out there. She said it was basically like I had pitocin again. Lovely! She personally had 3 of her babies at home and she said the very worst labor was the one where the midwife gave her Black and Blue Cohosh, which are herbs that makes the uterus contract and release. I laughed because that was just ONE of the many, many herbs I took to get my labor going.

Lesson learned: next time I'm doing no labor-inducing herbs. Elizabeth always says "when the fruit is ripe, it falls off the tree." In other words - leave it alone. The baby will come when my body and the baby is ready.

I also don't think I want to get checked to see my dilation/progression next time because it just messed with me mentally. The world stopped and stood still for almost 5 days because I was told I was in labor, when, if I had no idea where I was dilation-wise, I would have gone about my life and just called on Tuesday morning when the real labor started.


Will you do home birth again? Yep. As painful as it was, it was amazing.
The truth is: birth hurts.
And your options are
-c-section in the hospital. No pain when the baby is being taken out, but SERIOUS recovery. I mean, that's a major surgery.
-hospital birth with epidural and pitocin. Doesn't hurt too bad in the actual labor and delivery but it beats the tar out of your body. Since you're numb to the pain and laying on your back (worst position to birth a baby ever!) and pushing when they tell you to, you have no idea how hard you're pushing your body- you can't feel it. You can't feel when to ease off and breathe or rest for a bit. It's a brutal combination that ends up usually in a severely torn perineum, a very very sore body, and feeling out of it from all the drugs.
-a natural birth. The most pain during the labor and delivery but the recovery is out of this world. Because you get to move during birth. You get to rest. You get to try different positions that feel more comfortable. You get to feel "this is too much, let me rest through this next contraction" etc. I can't tell you how amazing the recovery with a home birth is.

So the point is, when you bring a baby into the earth, it's probably going to hurt at some point. Do some research and pray about what is the right choice for you and your family.


Why did you choose home birth? Because I very strongly believe in the female body and it's abilities. I am very blessed to have a good body to birth babies healthily (no small hip bones, or narrow this or that) and I don't take that lightly. I believe in trusting my body and my baby and the process that is birth. I believe it's the most natural thing on earth, I knew I could do it. You are immune to the things in your home, your home is the safest environment for you and your family - I like all of that. It doesn't really make sense to me to birth your baby in a huge building where all the sick people are and where disease is everywhere.
I chose home birth because I knew my midwife and her reputation and have seen and talked to so many of her apprentices, birth mothers and their babies, fellow colleagues, etc. and knew she was amazing at what she did. Story after story of how she saved this baby or came up with this new position for a stuck baby. She is truly amazing at what she does and I trust her. She knows the line between doing things safely at home, and the point when having your baby at home is no longer an option and it's time to transfer to the hospital for intervention.
I chose home birth, mainly, because I felt a calling from the Lord to do so. I believe He asked me to do it with Ruby, but I got scared. I told myself that surely I wasn't hearing Him correctly, and I just went with the birth I saw everyone else doing. I was scared. I was afraid of the pain and of the unknown and THAT'S what bums me out. If only women knew how strong they can be. Our society doesn't even give us a chance.
They've made birth be one way and one way only, and that's go to the hospital and numb yourself and therefore not get to experience the overwhelming pain and beauty of birth.

Why can't we believe in ourselves to do what we can do? What our bodies so beautifully and naturally do? I wish that our culture encouraged and respected women and birth more. I wish every woman believed in themselves to bring their babies into the world solely relying on the strength from Yahweh God Almighty to get them through, and trusting the strength of their bodies to finish the task it started.


Thank you to all of you for your kind words and wishes about Nora's arrival.
Thanks for reading all my very strong opinions:)

Believe in yourself. You can do the hard things He's called you to.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Jessica, you lovely little toughie, you. Excellent post.

Christi said...

If that was your experience in the hospital with Ruby, that makes me sad and mad at the same time! It doesnt have to be horrible like that! I had great natural experiences that hurt like hell even in the hospital LOL!! And I was up and running afterwards like the energizer bunny within 1 to 2 days. I see more now than ever how blessed we were that Jordan was delivered by a midwife, and we happened to be the only people in the entire baby wing of the hospital (talk about pampering afterwards!) I almost had Marvin deliver Hannah at home but went ahead with the hospital and had another great experience. However, if there is another it will certainly be a water birth at home...now if I could just get Philip to agree to another one! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this all, and I learned a few things as well! Thank you for the info and testimony to experience! I especially love your disclaimer so to speak in the beginning. Even if your experience isn't to a T your desire or negative in any way, having that baby in your arms after is pure heaven on earth! Nora is totally Kevin's twin and it's too cute! We love you Kiehns! - Jenny Galloway