Tuesday, July 24, 2012

might as well tell you her name

No, she's not here.
But while we wait I think it's perfect time to tell you all "Baby N"'s name.
Since her arriving will be wonderful news in and of itself.

Her name is
Nora Truth Kiehn
and we love her.


So now that you know the name I can show you the girls' room! 
Come on in.



Like I've said before, it's my favorite room in the house.
The only problem is, that it's so light and happy and wonderful, that the sun comes in so strong and doesn't make for long-sleeping babies. When we can, we'd love to get black-out curtains that pull down for nap time and night and can be pulled up during the day to let all that happy light in.

Everything turned out so sweet and just the way I envisioned it.
It's happy and fun and colorful and sweet. The perfect place for two sisters to grow up together.


The Ruby and Nora paintings are from my friend Gena from high school. Coolest story: I hadn't heard from her in years and she found me on the blog and offered to do a painting for the girls. She is an AMAZING artist...like, phenomenal, so I was so thankful and blessed she offered to do this as a gift for us. It meant so much. I sent her this idea and she hand-painted those letters, even though what I sent her was a print. She's awesome. Thank you Gena! You totally made the room!


I made these and Kevin hung them while I laid on my side on Ruby's bed and said "higher. a little lower. towards me. back. split the difference! perfect, babe"
I love Kevin.


This shelf and baskets are from IKEA and I am beyond thankful this all worked out. My in-laws were going to Chicago anyway, so they picked it up for us while they were up there so we didn't have to pay the ridiculous shipping + handling (which costs more than the shelf itself). You guys are the best-thank you!

I love this shelf for several reasons, but one is that it's perfect height for Ruby to clean up her own toys and put away her own books. She is really good at tidying up and I think this low, cubbied little shelf makes it more practical and fun for her.


Ruby's little corner.
She's been in her big girl bed since Christmas and it was a super easy transition.


We had some people over here hanging out one night and our friend Jake is a great artist as well and whipped this up while people were playing guitar and singing. It just makes my heart happy, all these handmade things by people who love us and love our girls. We are so blessed.


The specifics:
-the wall color is Benjamin Moore Robin's Nest
-the yellow paper lanterns are in the party section at Hobby Lobby for $7.99 for 3 (but print off your weekly 40% coupon for them!) and the colored poms cost $0.99 each to make. I had a gift card from my birthday from Grandma so it was all free! thank you PJ:)
-the yellow oval mirror is stolen from my salon...I got it at a flea market a few years back and spray painted it
-the metal "R" is from Kevin's grandpa's old church in Chicago. It was the Downer's Grove Baptist Church sign and his uncle scrapped all the other letters but my in-laws rescued the R last year before we knew about Nora. Bummer!
-the crib mattress was found for $20 brand new at my aunt's store. She bought it and I did her daughter's hair so we traded out so it didn't cost us anything!
-the lamp we already had and spray painted
-the frames we already had
-everything else we already had-hallelujah!

...............................................................................................


The countdown continues...



here I am today, pregnant as ever.
I've been out running around trying to stay occupied and obviously not cleaning this bathroom mirror.


I came home from errands to find on my porch a casserole dish and yummy green salad and a note from my big sister with cooking instructions. She made us dinner. My heart swelled up with thankfulness and happiness.


How cool is that? I am constantly amazed by other's selflessness and thoughtfulness.

Like last night? My in-laws said "let us watch Ruby so you guys can go on a date before Nora gets here" and while we were SO excited to go we literally have no extra money. We were trying to think of free and fun things to do, but it's all outside. And I'm 40 weeks pregnant and it's 100 degrees out there. We thought "oh well, we'll figure something out, it'll be nice just to be together". And when we showed up to drop her off at their house? They said "this is from me and Dad, enjoy your date" and handed us $30. I mean...seriously. Yahweh is taking care of us and working all things out.

We sat in the parking lot after dinner and just talked and laughed for 45 minutes. It was so fun.

I have so much to be thankful for, and if you look around and listen...so do you.

NOW... COME ON, NORA GIRL!!!


13 comments:

Kari Beth said...

IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING!!!!! The room is perfect :)

Leslie Shelton said...

That was actually my guess, Jess! :) I love it.

jessica kiehn said...

Haha i knew its what you guys were thinking:) smarties!!

nicole everett said...

Ya I knew it!!! nora truth! I love it!! The proof is in former blog posts lol! So thankful for you guys to have gotten everything together and for cheap and free!!! Praying she comes on her time and quickly :)
Don't come back til she's here jk :)
Nicole

Phillip & Sam said...

Hi Jessica! Remember me??? I sew and make nursing covers.. I don't know if it's something you'd use, but I have a great zebra print waiting to be made. I'd love to send it to you as a gift!

Phillip & Sam said...

Sorry I forgot our blog is private. www.phillipandsam.blogspot.com. You used to do my hair. You'll prob recognize me once you see my photo. I love your blog!

Sam

{annie_loo} said...

I LOVE HER NAME!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! WONDERFUL ROOM! It's precious! And the artwork, amazing! and the date night WITH some spending money- PRAISE THE LORD! Wonderful all around!!!! So excited to see little Nora soon and to watch Ruby be a big sister!

Leslie said...

OH JESSICA...THE ROOM!!!!!!! It's wonderfully beautiful and happy in every way. I absolutely love it. It looks exactly like the place 2 happy little girls would grow together in. You guys nailed it.

I about teared up reading about your date. Just simple and sweet. My favorite times is when Ryan and I just talk and talk. That's love.

Jenna said...

Jessica, I LOVE HER NAME! Its beautiful! The room is awesome too!! Can't wait to see pics of her!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you announced her name! I kept reading baby N and i thought to myself. "I bet it's Norah (but with an H:) because that would just be ADORABLE!" So everytime i read your blog I would just read Nora to myself, haha! Love the name, the room, the excitement!! - Jenny Galloway

Aunt Kristi said...

I'm not much of a believer, Jessica, but as an old 50 year old woman, your blog moved me to tears. Your thoughts, insights and ideas are perfectly refreshing. Your marriage is an inspiration...I didn't think such relationships even existed between a husband and a wife. Such a great wife and mother. Keep up the good work, toots!

jessica kiehn said...

Oh Kristi! It does exist, its just that its hard to find. You have to sacrifice some things and be tested often but the return is priceless. Thank you for your sweet comment-it really made my day.

Haley Galloway said...

I knew it was NORA! Love it! And I know she is HERE because of Rebecca McKim's instagram :) Can't wait to hear about it all!! Hoping all is going well! Love to your expanded family from the Galloways <3

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

might as well tell you her name

No, she's not here.
But while we wait I think it's perfect time to tell you all "Baby N"'s name.
Since her arriving will be wonderful news in and of itself.

Her name is
Nora Truth Kiehn
and we love her.


So now that you know the name I can show you the girls' room! 
Come on in.



Like I've said before, it's my favorite room in the house.
The only problem is, that it's so light and happy and wonderful, that the sun comes in so strong and doesn't make for long-sleeping babies. When we can, we'd love to get black-out curtains that pull down for nap time and night and can be pulled up during the day to let all that happy light in.

Everything turned out so sweet and just the way I envisioned it.
It's happy and fun and colorful and sweet. The perfect place for two sisters to grow up together.


The Ruby and Nora paintings are from my friend Gena from high school. Coolest story: I hadn't heard from her in years and she found me on the blog and offered to do a painting for the girls. She is an AMAZING artist...like, phenomenal, so I was so thankful and blessed she offered to do this as a gift for us. It meant so much. I sent her this idea and she hand-painted those letters, even though what I sent her was a print. She's awesome. Thank you Gena! You totally made the room!


I made these and Kevin hung them while I laid on my side on Ruby's bed and said "higher. a little lower. towards me. back. split the difference! perfect, babe"
I love Kevin.


This shelf and baskets are from IKEA and I am beyond thankful this all worked out. My in-laws were going to Chicago anyway, so they picked it up for us while they were up there so we didn't have to pay the ridiculous shipping + handling (which costs more than the shelf itself). You guys are the best-thank you!

I love this shelf for several reasons, but one is that it's perfect height for Ruby to clean up her own toys and put away her own books. She is really good at tidying up and I think this low, cubbied little shelf makes it more practical and fun for her.


Ruby's little corner.
She's been in her big girl bed since Christmas and it was a super easy transition.


We had some people over here hanging out one night and our friend Jake is a great artist as well and whipped this up while people were playing guitar and singing. It just makes my heart happy, all these handmade things by people who love us and love our girls. We are so blessed.


The specifics:
-the wall color is Benjamin Moore Robin's Nest
-the yellow paper lanterns are in the party section at Hobby Lobby for $7.99 for 3 (but print off your weekly 40% coupon for them!) and the colored poms cost $0.99 each to make. I had a gift card from my birthday from Grandma so it was all free! thank you PJ:)
-the yellow oval mirror is stolen from my salon...I got it at a flea market a few years back and spray painted it
-the metal "R" is from Kevin's grandpa's old church in Chicago. It was the Downer's Grove Baptist Church sign and his uncle scrapped all the other letters but my in-laws rescued the R last year before we knew about Nora. Bummer!
-the crib mattress was found for $20 brand new at my aunt's store. She bought it and I did her daughter's hair so we traded out so it didn't cost us anything!
-the lamp we already had and spray painted
-the frames we already had
-everything else we already had-hallelujah!

...............................................................................................


The countdown continues...



here I am today, pregnant as ever.
I've been out running around trying to stay occupied and obviously not cleaning this bathroom mirror.


I came home from errands to find on my porch a casserole dish and yummy green salad and a note from my big sister with cooking instructions. She made us dinner. My heart swelled up with thankfulness and happiness.


How cool is that? I am constantly amazed by other's selflessness and thoughtfulness.

Like last night? My in-laws said "let us watch Ruby so you guys can go on a date before Nora gets here" and while we were SO excited to go we literally have no extra money. We were trying to think of free and fun things to do, but it's all outside. And I'm 40 weeks pregnant and it's 100 degrees out there. We thought "oh well, we'll figure something out, it'll be nice just to be together". And when we showed up to drop her off at their house? They said "this is from me and Dad, enjoy your date" and handed us $30. I mean...seriously. Yahweh is taking care of us and working all things out.

We sat in the parking lot after dinner and just talked and laughed for 45 minutes. It was so fun.

I have so much to be thankful for, and if you look around and listen...so do you.

NOW... COME ON, NORA GIRL!!!


13 comments:

Kari Beth said...

IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING!!!!! The room is perfect :)

Leslie Shelton said...

That was actually my guess, Jess! :) I love it.

jessica kiehn said...

Haha i knew its what you guys were thinking:) smarties!!

nicole everett said...

Ya I knew it!!! nora truth! I love it!! The proof is in former blog posts lol! So thankful for you guys to have gotten everything together and for cheap and free!!! Praying she comes on her time and quickly :)
Don't come back til she's here jk :)
Nicole

Phillip & Sam said...

Hi Jessica! Remember me??? I sew and make nursing covers.. I don't know if it's something you'd use, but I have a great zebra print waiting to be made. I'd love to send it to you as a gift!

Phillip & Sam said...

Sorry I forgot our blog is private. www.phillipandsam.blogspot.com. You used to do my hair. You'll prob recognize me once you see my photo. I love your blog!

Sam

{annie_loo} said...

I LOVE HER NAME!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! WONDERFUL ROOM! It's precious! And the artwork, amazing! and the date night WITH some spending money- PRAISE THE LORD! Wonderful all around!!!! So excited to see little Nora soon and to watch Ruby be a big sister!

Leslie said...

OH JESSICA...THE ROOM!!!!!!! It's wonderfully beautiful and happy in every way. I absolutely love it. It looks exactly like the place 2 happy little girls would grow together in. You guys nailed it.

I about teared up reading about your date. Just simple and sweet. My favorite times is when Ryan and I just talk and talk. That's love.

Jenna said...

Jessica, I LOVE HER NAME! Its beautiful! The room is awesome too!! Can't wait to see pics of her!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you announced her name! I kept reading baby N and i thought to myself. "I bet it's Norah (but with an H:) because that would just be ADORABLE!" So everytime i read your blog I would just read Nora to myself, haha! Love the name, the room, the excitement!! - Jenny Galloway

Aunt Kristi said...

I'm not much of a believer, Jessica, but as an old 50 year old woman, your blog moved me to tears. Your thoughts, insights and ideas are perfectly refreshing. Your marriage is an inspiration...I didn't think such relationships even existed between a husband and a wife. Such a great wife and mother. Keep up the good work, toots!

jessica kiehn said...

Oh Kristi! It does exist, its just that its hard to find. You have to sacrifice some things and be tested often but the return is priceless. Thank you for your sweet comment-it really made my day.

Haley Galloway said...

I knew it was NORA! Love it! And I know she is HERE because of Rebecca McKim's instagram :) Can't wait to hear about it all!! Hoping all is going well! Love to your expanded family from the Galloways <3