Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Counting Game


Does your toddler ask the same question six hundred and seventy nine times, even when you've answered them over and over?
Mine does!


So to keep myself from yelling RUBY! STOP! (because we do not yell in this house. Not in anger anyway. Maybe desperation. We shout and sing way too loud and chant each other's names while doing something awesome, but we do not yell in anger)... I came up with a way to keep myself sane during the 11th time of "Mommy, I want some mmm" even though I am currently getting her some mmm. {Mmmm = food, btw. She came up with that...}


I started playing a game to myself where I count how many times she does it.
Now it's like a fun, exciting little "oh gosh, is she?! Is she gonna make it to 14 times? Come on, one more time! I want to tell your Dad you asked me for that 14 times!!"

It seriously works, try it.

Me and Kev will be in the car and she'll be in the back asking to go where we are ALREADY GOING over and over and over. And we just smile at each other and take a deep breath while we watch my fingers go up in counting. (Last night to church it was that she wanted to go to church 16 times. Asking for Clarence 17 times is the record so far).


Until they are really old enough to grasp "do not ask one more time", do yourself a favor and play this game. And realize they are just sweet little people learning and soaking it all in and they don't understand social rules like we do, so let's give 'em a break. 

Happy Counting!

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

Isn't she the cutest?
Isn't she the cutest?
Isnt' she the cutest?
Isn't she the cutest?
Isn't she......:):):)

Leslie said...

Look at your mom being so clever!!

I tell way too much. I read this a couple of days ago, but didn't have time to comment. After reading it, I've tried to tone the yelling back. I figured f you can do it never, I can at least try to cut mine way down. I've always been a teller.

Leslie said...

Not a teller!! I don't work at a bank. A yell-er. Like in arguments and stuff.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

That's so Ryan!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Counting Game


Does your toddler ask the same question six hundred and seventy nine times, even when you've answered them over and over?
Mine does!


So to keep myself from yelling RUBY! STOP! (because we do not yell in this house. Not in anger anyway. Maybe desperation. We shout and sing way too loud and chant each other's names while doing something awesome, but we do not yell in anger)... I came up with a way to keep myself sane during the 11th time of "Mommy, I want some mmm" even though I am currently getting her some mmm. {Mmmm = food, btw. She came up with that...}


I started playing a game to myself where I count how many times she does it.
Now it's like a fun, exciting little "oh gosh, is she?! Is she gonna make it to 14 times? Come on, one more time! I want to tell your Dad you asked me for that 14 times!!"

It seriously works, try it.

Me and Kev will be in the car and she'll be in the back asking to go where we are ALREADY GOING over and over and over. And we just smile at each other and take a deep breath while we watch my fingers go up in counting. (Last night to church it was that she wanted to go to church 16 times. Asking for Clarence 17 times is the record so far).


Until they are really old enough to grasp "do not ask one more time", do yourself a favor and play this game. And realize they are just sweet little people learning and soaking it all in and they don't understand social rules like we do, so let's give 'em a break. 

Happy Counting!

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

Isn't she the cutest?
Isn't she the cutest?
Isnt' she the cutest?
Isn't she the cutest?
Isn't she......:):):)

Leslie said...

Look at your mom being so clever!!

I tell way too much. I read this a couple of days ago, but didn't have time to comment. After reading it, I've tried to tone the yelling back. I figured f you can do it never, I can at least try to cut mine way down. I've always been a teller.

Leslie said...

Not a teller!! I don't work at a bank. A yell-er. Like in arguments and stuff.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

That's so Ryan!