Saturday, April 7, 2012

Routine

Sunday morning pictures. This was last week, so I was 23.5 weeks here. 
Now I'm 24.5 and larger and more in charger.


Love this size of pregnancy!


And here's the little show stopper herself. She is so exhausted in her Sunday morning preggo pics. Hilarious.
Cute story: Ruby's Uncle Stephen (Kev's brother) and his wife were out shopping and he saw this dress and exclaimed "babe! can we please get this for Ruby?!"
Sweetest thing...and it's perfect for her!


still a little tired...

SO! Like I joyfully reported last post or so...I am no longer feeling sick. Let the angels sing hallelujah!
I definitely feel pregnant (typical discomforts) but not sick. Sooo much better!

I recently got the most obvious revelation/reminder:
planning and scheduling makes everyone's life so much easier.



I have meal planned for years, but I'm trying something new out.
Ruby and I are so "go with the flow" and always have been. I very much believe in that because, come on...that's life.
I never want to be a freak-out-if-things-don't-go-my-perfect, planned-way type of woman.
However, as in all things in life...there must be a balance.

I typed out breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas instead of just having dinner planned every night.

Each week, I will make sure I have a majority of what is on the breakfast and lunch lists stocked in the fridge and pantry.
Each night, I will check the list and actually prep or mentally prep for breakfast first thing in the morning.

Enter: routine.


Ruby wakes up: I change her diaper and get straight to making and serving her breakfast AT THE TABLE. (this is also a new thing for us. our house was always a pit and we realized it was because we let the toddler snack whenever and where ever. I've been rather lazy the past few months, give me a break :) So from now on, every snack, every meal...in her chair at the table. YES this takes more work from us Mommas - dishes, clean up, wiping- but probably less work in the long run. And always good to teach your kiddos order and cleanliness)

clean up from breakfast immediately
this means her, the table, the breakfast dishes, etc.

throw in a load of laundry. every single day.

play/house chores together/park/call clients back/whatever is on the morning to-do

choose a lunch option from the pre-made list and sit down at the table and eat together


clean up immediately from lunch, and get her ready for naptime


fold the washed load of laundry and put away


And the rest of the day is free to do whatever and play by ear! Yay!


To some of you you're like..."uh...DUH. This is what I've always done."
Well gooooood for you!

I'm a new Momma and I'm learning all of this, while trying to find the balance between normal "my  mom was cool and we had a loving childhood that was safe and steady" and "I grew up at boot camp with my psycho mom not letting us step out of her precious routine"

having homemade granola always stocked is the BEST. and almost necessary. quick, healthy, eeeeeasy.

So today we implemented the routine.
And, I know...it's the first day, and last night the house was already picked up.
But today...the house is spotless, two more loads of laundry were done, we ate and cleaned up 3 real meals instead of grabbing random stuff here and there, and Ruby napped like a CHAMP.

I love it.
I love order.
And I LOVE that Kevin loves order, and is a super hard worker.
I think laziness is probably the most unattractive characteristic one could have. (Except when you're pregnant, right? heh..)

So here's to routine. 


I know I'm going to need it the more kiddos we add to the Kiehn brood:)

3 comments:

Kari Beth said...

you look great! so tiny! love ruby's dress :)

{annie_loo} said...

You look FABULOUS!

And...this new routine sounds MARVALOUS!!!! I"m with you on eating AT THE TABLE! Easton always eats in the bathroom while I get ready in the morning, but what a mess. We discussed the eating in the high chair at all times last night...but then that means mommy needs to be ready once easton wakes up...eeks! It really is so much better though. Less distraction too!

Good for you for implementing routine and structure! IT's good for everyone!!!!!

Leslie said...

oh my gosh, I love your dress and shoes!!! I love seeing you dressed up like that. I love that bow on your shoes. I got on today hoping to see Ruby in her Easter dress. I know it's gotta be precious. Okay, this comment is getting random, but I love when you post pics of what you guys wore to church because it's always so nice!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Routine

Sunday morning pictures. This was last week, so I was 23.5 weeks here. 
Now I'm 24.5 and larger and more in charger.


Love this size of pregnancy!


And here's the little show stopper herself. She is so exhausted in her Sunday morning preggo pics. Hilarious.
Cute story: Ruby's Uncle Stephen (Kev's brother) and his wife were out shopping and he saw this dress and exclaimed "babe! can we please get this for Ruby?!"
Sweetest thing...and it's perfect for her!


still a little tired...

SO! Like I joyfully reported last post or so...I am no longer feeling sick. Let the angels sing hallelujah!
I definitely feel pregnant (typical discomforts) but not sick. Sooo much better!

I recently got the most obvious revelation/reminder:
planning and scheduling makes everyone's life so much easier.



I have meal planned for years, but I'm trying something new out.
Ruby and I are so "go with the flow" and always have been. I very much believe in that because, come on...that's life.
I never want to be a freak-out-if-things-don't-go-my-perfect, planned-way type of woman.
However, as in all things in life...there must be a balance.

I typed out breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas instead of just having dinner planned every night.

Each week, I will make sure I have a majority of what is on the breakfast and lunch lists stocked in the fridge and pantry.
Each night, I will check the list and actually prep or mentally prep for breakfast first thing in the morning.

Enter: routine.


Ruby wakes up: I change her diaper and get straight to making and serving her breakfast AT THE TABLE. (this is also a new thing for us. our house was always a pit and we realized it was because we let the toddler snack whenever and where ever. I've been rather lazy the past few months, give me a break :) So from now on, every snack, every meal...in her chair at the table. YES this takes more work from us Mommas - dishes, clean up, wiping- but probably less work in the long run. And always good to teach your kiddos order and cleanliness)

clean up from breakfast immediately
this means her, the table, the breakfast dishes, etc.

throw in a load of laundry. every single day.

play/house chores together/park/call clients back/whatever is on the morning to-do

choose a lunch option from the pre-made list and sit down at the table and eat together


clean up immediately from lunch, and get her ready for naptime


fold the washed load of laundry and put away


And the rest of the day is free to do whatever and play by ear! Yay!


To some of you you're like..."uh...DUH. This is what I've always done."
Well gooooood for you!

I'm a new Momma and I'm learning all of this, while trying to find the balance between normal "my  mom was cool and we had a loving childhood that was safe and steady" and "I grew up at boot camp with my psycho mom not letting us step out of her precious routine"

having homemade granola always stocked is the BEST. and almost necessary. quick, healthy, eeeeeasy.

So today we implemented the routine.
And, I know...it's the first day, and last night the house was already picked up.
But today...the house is spotless, two more loads of laundry were done, we ate and cleaned up 3 real meals instead of grabbing random stuff here and there, and Ruby napped like a CHAMP.

I love it.
I love order.
And I LOVE that Kevin loves order, and is a super hard worker.
I think laziness is probably the most unattractive characteristic one could have. (Except when you're pregnant, right? heh..)

So here's to routine. 


I know I'm going to need it the more kiddos we add to the Kiehn brood:)

3 comments:

Kari Beth said...

you look great! so tiny! love ruby's dress :)

{annie_loo} said...

You look FABULOUS!

And...this new routine sounds MARVALOUS!!!! I"m with you on eating AT THE TABLE! Easton always eats in the bathroom while I get ready in the morning, but what a mess. We discussed the eating in the high chair at all times last night...but then that means mommy needs to be ready once easton wakes up...eeks! It really is so much better though. Less distraction too!

Good for you for implementing routine and structure! IT's good for everyone!!!!!

Leslie said...

oh my gosh, I love your dress and shoes!!! I love seeing you dressed up like that. I love that bow on your shoes. I got on today hoping to see Ruby in her Easter dress. I know it's gotta be precious. Okay, this comment is getting random, but I love when you post pics of what you guys wore to church because it's always so nice!