Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mother + Daughter

Last night, I was laying in bed and had a vision of Ruby being old enough to come and lay in bed and just talk to me. Talk about situations she's having with her friends. Things she's walking out spiritually. Ask me for advice. Really talk and have a relationship.

And I just got giddy inside with how sweet it's going to be.

I know boys are amazing in their own ways, I'm sure of it.
And moms of little boys are as blessed as any mother, period.
But I am so overwhelmingly thankful that I get to have girls.
(All the drama and emotions included. And you better believe Ruby has strong emotions.)
Because it's just such a special bond that I can have with them.
I know what it feels like to be a girl.
I get to watch my daughters have children of their own, and answer their pregnancy questions as they compare theirs to mine.
I get to watch my baby girls become strong, Godly women who start their families.

I get to squeal with them while shopping at a cute thing we both found and agree on and love.
I get to have matching toe and fingernail polish with them like me and Ruby often do.
I get to do be their hairstylist. And we all know you love your hairstylist.
I get to find that iffy line between understanding and remembering what it was like to be a teen girl, and still caring more about their character and purpose and not letting them do/wear/see what everyone else is.
I get to share clothes with them. That's right. My plan is always keep myself in shape enough to share shirts with my daughters. Pants, who knows, but shirts and jackets, you better believe it.
I get to teach them to cook.
To feed a family on a budget.
To respect the environment, because the earth is the Lord's and the fullness therein.
I get to watch them respond and learn from having two parents who are madly in love and deeply respect each other.

Girls seem to look so much deeper into things.
I so look forward to my conversations with my girls.
I know boys are cool but teenage boys don't really want to come in the room and lay down with their mom in the morning and just talk. I get that.
I will love my boys when I have them, there's no denying that.
In fact, I'm sure boys bring a facet to the family that is unexplainably cool until you have one.

But for now, I am so, so thankful for these sweet daughters that Yahweh has entrusted us with.

Mother + Daughter necklaces on Etsy.    




exactly what I'm talking about.
precious.

3 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

I understand what your saying and I feel the same thing but with my boys. I know the squealing of shopping and girlie things won't be there but other things take the place with love. I look forward to conversations with them just laying around talking. Boys do, do those things. I remember when we lived with Leslie when we first had the fellas I truly admired the Mom she was and is to her sons. They loved coming and just hanging out on her bed talking to her. So if you ever have a boy that can still happen. ;) I however will be trading in the shopping for wearing many many many tacky buttons proudly to each sporting event, and screaming loudly that's my boy(s)!! Hahaha! Motherhood! You just can beat it! Rejoicing for your blessings. This is such a beautiful time in life. :)

jessica kiehn said...

jenny, you are so right! motherhood is motherhood, no matter the sex of your children. you and your MIL are such beautiful pictures of all-boy mommas!
soooo excited about your 3rd on the way! it'll be crazy to just have ONE this time around! :) cant wait to see pics.

Leslie said...

I can't say much since I have no idea first hand, but I can imagine there are just so many things only mothers and daughters can do! Like the shopping and like you said, things like pedicures. That kind of stuff is SO special. And yes, teenage boys do not come and lay in your bed and talk! Haha.

Your girls are so lucky to have such an amazing mom. The 3 of you are going to have such a blast together!!!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mother + Daughter

Last night, I was laying in bed and had a vision of Ruby being old enough to come and lay in bed and just talk to me. Talk about situations she's having with her friends. Things she's walking out spiritually. Ask me for advice. Really talk and have a relationship.

And I just got giddy inside with how sweet it's going to be.

I know boys are amazing in their own ways, I'm sure of it.
And moms of little boys are as blessed as any mother, period.
But I am so overwhelmingly thankful that I get to have girls.
(All the drama and emotions included. And you better believe Ruby has strong emotions.)
Because it's just such a special bond that I can have with them.
I know what it feels like to be a girl.
I get to watch my daughters have children of their own, and answer their pregnancy questions as they compare theirs to mine.
I get to watch my baby girls become strong, Godly women who start their families.

I get to squeal with them while shopping at a cute thing we both found and agree on and love.
I get to have matching toe and fingernail polish with them like me and Ruby often do.
I get to do be their hairstylist. And we all know you love your hairstylist.
I get to find that iffy line between understanding and remembering what it was like to be a teen girl, and still caring more about their character and purpose and not letting them do/wear/see what everyone else is.
I get to share clothes with them. That's right. My plan is always keep myself in shape enough to share shirts with my daughters. Pants, who knows, but shirts and jackets, you better believe it.
I get to teach them to cook.
To feed a family on a budget.
To respect the environment, because the earth is the Lord's and the fullness therein.
I get to watch them respond and learn from having two parents who are madly in love and deeply respect each other.

Girls seem to look so much deeper into things.
I so look forward to my conversations with my girls.
I know boys are cool but teenage boys don't really want to come in the room and lay down with their mom in the morning and just talk. I get that.
I will love my boys when I have them, there's no denying that.
In fact, I'm sure boys bring a facet to the family that is unexplainably cool until you have one.

But for now, I am so, so thankful for these sweet daughters that Yahweh has entrusted us with.

Mother + Daughter necklaces on Etsy.    




exactly what I'm talking about.
precious.

3 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

I understand what your saying and I feel the same thing but with my boys. I know the squealing of shopping and girlie things won't be there but other things take the place with love. I look forward to conversations with them just laying around talking. Boys do, do those things. I remember when we lived with Leslie when we first had the fellas I truly admired the Mom she was and is to her sons. They loved coming and just hanging out on her bed talking to her. So if you ever have a boy that can still happen. ;) I however will be trading in the shopping for wearing many many many tacky buttons proudly to each sporting event, and screaming loudly that's my boy(s)!! Hahaha! Motherhood! You just can beat it! Rejoicing for your blessings. This is such a beautiful time in life. :)

jessica kiehn said...

jenny, you are so right! motherhood is motherhood, no matter the sex of your children. you and your MIL are such beautiful pictures of all-boy mommas!
soooo excited about your 3rd on the way! it'll be crazy to just have ONE this time around! :) cant wait to see pics.

Leslie said...

I can't say much since I have no idea first hand, but I can imagine there are just so many things only mothers and daughters can do! Like the shopping and like you said, things like pedicures. That kind of stuff is SO special. And yes, teenage boys do not come and lay in your bed and talk! Haha.

Your girls are so lucky to have such an amazing mom. The 3 of you are going to have such a blast together!!!