Friday, March 2, 2012

Good Friends


This, my friends, is evidence of a good time had by two very cute toddler girls.

Kari Beth and Elle Louise came over this morning for a sort of last-minute-planned get together (my FAVORITE kind! It makes me nervous to plan something out a week in advance)

Anyways...Kari brought over this absolutely darling dress she made Ruby for her birthday! I can't get over how sweet it is, the picture doesn't do it justice. KB is a busy woman with her etsy shop, and it's no wonder why...she's so gifted! I absolutely love this special handmade dress for our Ruby James.


Kari Beth always leaves me feeling so, so thankful. She inspires me in such a unique way.
After she left and I had such a thankful-for-good-friends heart, I asked Holy Spirit why I felt so specifically drawn to Kari and you know what He told me?
Because she doesn't try.
She just is a good friend.
She doesn't bring you something to impress you at all.
She doesn't get your daughter something adorable for her birthday for your approval.
She gives without expecting anything in return.
She gives/shows up/helps/whatever because she loves to and because she wants to.

And that, I realized, creates the sweetest, most real and freeing friendship one could ever have.

She actually loves my daughter.
She actually loves me, and would do anything for our family.

Today we were sitting in what will be both the kids' room and she asked what my vision was for it. I pregnantly and tiredly said "I have a vision but I'm just too tired to make it all really happen. Money, and arranging with such a small space...it's kinda hard and we are limited..."
and the next thing I know, she is helping me arrange the crib and toddler bed and end table and chair to make the room cuter, more functional and closer to my vision.

It just really opened my eyes. How sweet and unselfish. What a good friend!

Today I have been encouraged to selflessly be there for people. To bless them for nothing in return but just because it's my joy to do so. That includes my husband, and my family.

And Kari Beth? I love ya girl:)
You had no idea, but you opened my eyes today.


3 comments:

Brittany said...

UGH!! I STILL wonder why I have NOT met Kari Beth in person?!?!?! I can't wait until all three of our little girls get to play together!!!

Taylor said...

This was so sweet! I have a few good friends like that and it just warms my soul!!!

Kari Beth said...

Aww JESSICA! I am crying! You are too much. I have always thanked God for our friendship.....since the first time we hung out. You, Kevin and Ruby are very special to us and always will be! No matter what. Ive never been one to ever feel like I have to "impress" anyone but some times when I'm with certain people I'm left feeling very inadequate. But not with you, you always take such an interest in my life and Aaron and Elle's lives. You are one of, if not THE sweetest person I've ever known. So so so thankful for you! Love you sweet friend, & thank you so much for this sweet post! Warmed my soul!

And of course I LOVE RUBY! How could I not? She is so awesome!!!!!! I've watched the video of her reading "the wheels on the bus" like a hundred times today!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Good Friends


This, my friends, is evidence of a good time had by two very cute toddler girls.

Kari Beth and Elle Louise came over this morning for a sort of last-minute-planned get together (my FAVORITE kind! It makes me nervous to plan something out a week in advance)

Anyways...Kari brought over this absolutely darling dress she made Ruby for her birthday! I can't get over how sweet it is, the picture doesn't do it justice. KB is a busy woman with her etsy shop, and it's no wonder why...she's so gifted! I absolutely love this special handmade dress for our Ruby James.


Kari Beth always leaves me feeling so, so thankful. She inspires me in such a unique way.
After she left and I had such a thankful-for-good-friends heart, I asked Holy Spirit why I felt so specifically drawn to Kari and you know what He told me?
Because she doesn't try.
She just is a good friend.
She doesn't bring you something to impress you at all.
She doesn't get your daughter something adorable for her birthday for your approval.
She gives without expecting anything in return.
She gives/shows up/helps/whatever because she loves to and because she wants to.

And that, I realized, creates the sweetest, most real and freeing friendship one could ever have.

She actually loves my daughter.
She actually loves me, and would do anything for our family.

Today we were sitting in what will be both the kids' room and she asked what my vision was for it. I pregnantly and tiredly said "I have a vision but I'm just too tired to make it all really happen. Money, and arranging with such a small space...it's kinda hard and we are limited..."
and the next thing I know, she is helping me arrange the crib and toddler bed and end table and chair to make the room cuter, more functional and closer to my vision.

It just really opened my eyes. How sweet and unselfish. What a good friend!

Today I have been encouraged to selflessly be there for people. To bless them for nothing in return but just because it's my joy to do so. That includes my husband, and my family.

And Kari Beth? I love ya girl:)
You had no idea, but you opened my eyes today.


3 comments:

Brittany said...

UGH!! I STILL wonder why I have NOT met Kari Beth in person?!?!?! I can't wait until all three of our little girls get to play together!!!

Taylor said...

This was so sweet! I have a few good friends like that and it just warms my soul!!!

Kari Beth said...

Aww JESSICA! I am crying! You are too much. I have always thanked God for our friendship.....since the first time we hung out. You, Kevin and Ruby are very special to us and always will be! No matter what. Ive never been one to ever feel like I have to "impress" anyone but some times when I'm with certain people I'm left feeling very inadequate. But not with you, you always take such an interest in my life and Aaron and Elle's lives. You are one of, if not THE sweetest person I've ever known. So so so thankful for you! Love you sweet friend, & thank you so much for this sweet post! Warmed my soul!

And of course I LOVE RUBY! How could I not? She is so awesome!!!!!! I've watched the video of her reading "the wheels on the bus" like a hundred times today!