Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pregnancy and Attitudes


I found this on my sister's Pinterest and it was like it was written for me.
I am a very passionate person, Kevin and I have concluded, and with that passion means I can take something and make it so, so, sooooo much bigger than it really is.

I think women, in general, do this. 
We are by nature, brooders over things. 
Natural worriers.
God created us to care an extra amount, but for the sake of interceding and praying for situations, not worrying or overthinking.

So...pregnancy.
For some reason in my little Jessica mind it was all daisies and lemondrops.
When pregnant with Ruby, I seem to remember feeling like a floating goddess with a beautiful round belly and glowing skin. I rested when I needed to, and life was grand.

This baby? 
Acne on my face coupled with some lovely pimples on my neck (?!).
The swollen veins that rear their ugly heads in the women of my family while pregnant are already here and painful.
I feel like I have nothing in me everyday.
Nothing.
I have been drinking coffee (probably half a mug) pretty much everyday just to keep up.

So last night as I cried for the first time in this pregnancy (besides watching Father of the Bride, we all know what that movie does to me) because I had just had it...a light turned on and I realized something.
I had a bad couple days.
That's it.
No need to compare this pregnancy to last to say how awful this one is.
I PROMISE if I had a blog at 18 weeks of Ruby's pregnancy I'd be saying the same things!


This was taken this Sunday morning, so a little over 17 weeks. 
I felt great, beautiful, thankful, and all the things I like about pregnancy.



By the end of the same day...I felt like this.

my poor belly button!

And that's ok! The point is, that I realize...Jess- you're pregnant. 
You're gonna have good days and bad days.
Good moments and bad moments. 
But all in all...at the end of the day, you have a healthy baby that has been given to you to brood over and care for. Something only you can do for it, and something you can do because you've been called to it.

I think of all the women over history that didn't have an app on their phones telling them about their pains and why they are going through it.
They just saddled up (quite literally I'm sure) and dealt with it the best way the knew how.
And that's what I'm doing. The best I know to do. 
Keep a good attitude, and a heart of thankfulness. 

Because really...really...pregnancy is so cool.



3 comments:

Leslie said...

Do not be discouraged!! Pregnancy, like life, is a blessing AND not easy. It's completely natural for you to be tired mentally and physically. And pregnancy with a toddler is a whole other world than pregnancy with no kids. I am glad you posted this- it shows you are REAL! Each of my pregnancies were SO different, so it's hard to know what to expect. Even when you are a pro- which you are!

PS- typically things that are easy, are not very rewarding!

Maria said...

Well said! It's so easy to forget the good days when it feels like you're drowning I'm the bad. But this is a great reminder :)

Chrissy Galloway said...

If you were any cuter...I may have to smack ya...just saying! xoxo

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pregnancy and Attitudes


I found this on my sister's Pinterest and it was like it was written for me.
I am a very passionate person, Kevin and I have concluded, and with that passion means I can take something and make it so, so, sooooo much bigger than it really is.

I think women, in general, do this. 
We are by nature, brooders over things. 
Natural worriers.
God created us to care an extra amount, but for the sake of interceding and praying for situations, not worrying or overthinking.

So...pregnancy.
For some reason in my little Jessica mind it was all daisies and lemondrops.
When pregnant with Ruby, I seem to remember feeling like a floating goddess with a beautiful round belly and glowing skin. I rested when I needed to, and life was grand.

This baby? 
Acne on my face coupled with some lovely pimples on my neck (?!).
The swollen veins that rear their ugly heads in the women of my family while pregnant are already here and painful.
I feel like I have nothing in me everyday.
Nothing.
I have been drinking coffee (probably half a mug) pretty much everyday just to keep up.

So last night as I cried for the first time in this pregnancy (besides watching Father of the Bride, we all know what that movie does to me) because I had just had it...a light turned on and I realized something.
I had a bad couple days.
That's it.
No need to compare this pregnancy to last to say how awful this one is.
I PROMISE if I had a blog at 18 weeks of Ruby's pregnancy I'd be saying the same things!


This was taken this Sunday morning, so a little over 17 weeks. 
I felt great, beautiful, thankful, and all the things I like about pregnancy.



By the end of the same day...I felt like this.

my poor belly button!

And that's ok! The point is, that I realize...Jess- you're pregnant. 
You're gonna have good days and bad days.
Good moments and bad moments. 
But all in all...at the end of the day, you have a healthy baby that has been given to you to brood over and care for. Something only you can do for it, and something you can do because you've been called to it.

I think of all the women over history that didn't have an app on their phones telling them about their pains and why they are going through it.
They just saddled up (quite literally I'm sure) and dealt with it the best way the knew how.
And that's what I'm doing. The best I know to do. 
Keep a good attitude, and a heart of thankfulness. 

Because really...really...pregnancy is so cool.



3 comments:

Leslie said...

Do not be discouraged!! Pregnancy, like life, is a blessing AND not easy. It's completely natural for you to be tired mentally and physically. And pregnancy with a toddler is a whole other world than pregnancy with no kids. I am glad you posted this- it shows you are REAL! Each of my pregnancies were SO different, so it's hard to know what to expect. Even when you are a pro- which you are!

PS- typically things that are easy, are not very rewarding!

Maria said...

Well said! It's so easy to forget the good days when it feels like you're drowning I'm the bad. But this is a great reminder :)

Chrissy Galloway said...

If you were any cuter...I may have to smack ya...just saying! xoxo