Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Power of Your Mind

I'm reading Ina May's Guide To Childbirth and it is so encouraging.
It's a collection of birth stories written my the mothers themselves, and then the rest of the book is medical and natural information from the famous midwife herself.
I read this part and it hit me:


Let's say you want some  advice that might help you give birth, wherever that might be. My shortest answer: Let your monkey do it....Letting the primate in you do the work of labor is a short way of saying not to let your over-busy mind interfere with the ancient wisdom of your body. To give you an idea of what I mean, here are some things animals don't do in labor that many women do-and that interfere with labor:


-They don't think of technology as necessary to birth-giving.
-They don't obsess about their bodies being inadequate.
-They don't blame their condition on anyone else.
-They don't do math about their dilation to speculate how long their labor might take (It's taken me 8 hours to dilate to a 5. That means I have to go through 8 more hours of this before I'm at a 10 and can push.)
-Animals in labor get in whatever position feels best and opens the cervix, not the one they're told to assume.
-Animals aren't self-conscience about making noise, farting, or pooping during labor. All queens, duchesses, and movie stars poop-every day, if they're healthy.


from Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

That last part cracked me up.
Anyway, it really spoke to me (along with lots of other parts of the book I don't have on here). I didn't see this in the book per se, but I  have gathered from life experience after life experience that your mind is the most powerful thing on this earth, really.

If you think about it, it's the only thing in existence that is stronger than God's own will. What if His will is that a young man would be successful and happy? But then Yahweh chose to give us a free will, with our own thoughts and our own actions, because He's a just God and He wants His children to CHOOSE Him.
 And that young man goes out and choice after choice...ruins his life? God gives him an opportunity to meet good friends...the young man chooses bad ones and gets into drugs. God gives him an opportunity for a good job...the young man is hung over and sleeps through his alarm for the interview.

Then people want to cry and blame God when He's like I'M DOING MY PART, you have responsibility, too!

So my point is this. Just how powerful is your mind?
If it can undo the plans the Creator of the Universe has for you...what else can it do?
How awesome would it be to take the amazing power behind it and use it for good? For Yahweh's plans for you?

AMAZING.

The things we could do.
The lives that would change.
The freedom we would have.

There would be no fear, no doubt, no negativity. 
Most EVERYTHING that is a hinderance to us begins in our minds.

I am going to be praying, sowing seed, and prophesying for a renewed mind. 
One that doesn't say "but..." and let's lies or negativity in.

One that says "yes!" and believes it when I'm told I can deliver my baby without great pain, and intervention, and horror stories. Or anything that's a little hard to believe because of years of doubt stored up all around me.

Because when your mind believes it, your body obeys and makes it happen.
No matter what it is.
For the good or for the bad.

May my mind be renewed to think like Christ, to respond like Christ, and to in turn act like Christ.

2 comments:

Haley Galloway said...

I ordered and read that book front to cover so fast when I first found out I was pregnant this time! I feel so much more informed about the capabilities of my body this time around.

Like you I am going to have a natural unmedicated birth and that was the farthest from what I had with Sophie because I didn't understand at the time that my body was capable and MADE to birth a baby. That book was so empowering to me! Ina May knows what she's talking about! I think it's like 97% of the women that they deliver do it 100% all natural without any need for a medical intervention. It goes to show how truly capable we are as woman and when nature takes it's course and we allow our bodies to work the way God designed them to, C-Section rates plummet, vaginal tears are rare, and breastfeeding success goes up!

Sorry I get a little excited about birth and people who understand why you want to do it naturally.

Love what you added at the end as well. Mind over matter. It applies to everything.

Brittany said...

I LOVE that book, it was SO encouraging for me! Giving birth is what we were meant to do! You just have to trust your body and let it do what it needs to! So glad you're reading it!!!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Power of Your Mind

I'm reading Ina May's Guide To Childbirth and it is so encouraging.
It's a collection of birth stories written my the mothers themselves, and then the rest of the book is medical and natural information from the famous midwife herself.
I read this part and it hit me:


Let's say you want some  advice that might help you give birth, wherever that might be. My shortest answer: Let your monkey do it....Letting the primate in you do the work of labor is a short way of saying not to let your over-busy mind interfere with the ancient wisdom of your body. To give you an idea of what I mean, here are some things animals don't do in labor that many women do-and that interfere with labor:


-They don't think of technology as necessary to birth-giving.
-They don't obsess about their bodies being inadequate.
-They don't blame their condition on anyone else.
-They don't do math about their dilation to speculate how long their labor might take (It's taken me 8 hours to dilate to a 5. That means I have to go through 8 more hours of this before I'm at a 10 and can push.)
-Animals in labor get in whatever position feels best and opens the cervix, not the one they're told to assume.
-Animals aren't self-conscience about making noise, farting, or pooping during labor. All queens, duchesses, and movie stars poop-every day, if they're healthy.


from Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

That last part cracked me up.
Anyway, it really spoke to me (along with lots of other parts of the book I don't have on here). I didn't see this in the book per se, but I  have gathered from life experience after life experience that your mind is the most powerful thing on this earth, really.

If you think about it, it's the only thing in existence that is stronger than God's own will. What if His will is that a young man would be successful and happy? But then Yahweh chose to give us a free will, with our own thoughts and our own actions, because He's a just God and He wants His children to CHOOSE Him.
 And that young man goes out and choice after choice...ruins his life? God gives him an opportunity to meet good friends...the young man chooses bad ones and gets into drugs. God gives him an opportunity for a good job...the young man is hung over and sleeps through his alarm for the interview.

Then people want to cry and blame God when He's like I'M DOING MY PART, you have responsibility, too!

So my point is this. Just how powerful is your mind?
If it can undo the plans the Creator of the Universe has for you...what else can it do?
How awesome would it be to take the amazing power behind it and use it for good? For Yahweh's plans for you?

AMAZING.

The things we could do.
The lives that would change.
The freedom we would have.

There would be no fear, no doubt, no negativity. 
Most EVERYTHING that is a hinderance to us begins in our minds.

I am going to be praying, sowing seed, and prophesying for a renewed mind. 
One that doesn't say "but..." and let's lies or negativity in.

One that says "yes!" and believes it when I'm told I can deliver my baby without great pain, and intervention, and horror stories. Or anything that's a little hard to believe because of years of doubt stored up all around me.

Because when your mind believes it, your body obeys and makes it happen.
No matter what it is.
For the good or for the bad.

May my mind be renewed to think like Christ, to respond like Christ, and to in turn act like Christ.

2 comments:

Haley Galloway said...

I ordered and read that book front to cover so fast when I first found out I was pregnant this time! I feel so much more informed about the capabilities of my body this time around.

Like you I am going to have a natural unmedicated birth and that was the farthest from what I had with Sophie because I didn't understand at the time that my body was capable and MADE to birth a baby. That book was so empowering to me! Ina May knows what she's talking about! I think it's like 97% of the women that they deliver do it 100% all natural without any need for a medical intervention. It goes to show how truly capable we are as woman and when nature takes it's course and we allow our bodies to work the way God designed them to, C-Section rates plummet, vaginal tears are rare, and breastfeeding success goes up!

Sorry I get a little excited about birth and people who understand why you want to do it naturally.

Love what you added at the end as well. Mind over matter. It applies to everything.

Brittany said...

I LOVE that book, it was SO encouraging for me! Giving birth is what we were meant to do! You just have to trust your body and let it do what it needs to! So glad you're reading it!!!