Thursday, November 3, 2011

Food!

So, I've had a request for some actual, literal food ideas.
I am terrible at this, but I'll try.

Eating Real Food requires you to plan ahead. There is really no "fast food" when eating that way as far as a whole, hot meal. You can grab snacks that are real food, of course, but actual sit-down meals require planning ahead.
Usually every before I go to bed, I soak a bag of beans (black, red, pinto, whatever) and a bag of brown rice. In this picture I'm also soaking some almonds for a bean dip I made the next day.

Soaking breaks your food down and basically pre-digests it for you. The energy it takes for your body to break down and digest 3 cooked meals is equivalent to your body doing 8 hours of hard labor. Which, of course, this is how our bodies work and that's fine, but it's also highly beneficial to help your body digest food easier. You get more nutrients because a lot of the work is done for your body already. And you pass it quicker.
Did you know pork stays in your GI tract for fourteen days?! Gross.
Just sitting in your gut rotting.
Bleh.

Anyways, the point is to get all the nutrients you can, but keep your tract and your body flowing beautifully, and not overworking and getting stopped up and stressing over the food you feed it.

So...I soak food overnight. Oats, brown rice, beans, etc.


Here's an example of a part of a lunch:
Spinach with apple, avacados, quinoa (a whole grain!) chia seeds, and a honey mustard vinaigrette I made. (John teaches you to make your own dressings in his class)

Make a big salad like this, along with a soup and a whole grain bread like Ezekial bread and you have yourself a good dinner.


Here's another day's lunch.
Brown rice, avacado, black beans with the vinaigrette drizzled on top. So, so good.


Other dinner we've had are
-Spaghetti squash with organic marinara
-Local grass-fed beef stew with carrots and onions and homemade beef stock ( I could do a whole blog post of beef stock and it's benefits)
-Portabella mushroom Ezekial bread sandwhiches with avacado and organice tomato paste and tomatoes
-Lentil soup with carrots and onions and curry. Then blend it in the pot with a hand blender. So creamy and delicious!
-Brown rice pasta (available at Walmart) and organic marinara
-Wild salmon (must be wild and not farmed) with baked sweet potato and brown rice and spinach

The possibilities are really limitless. Just think of meals you like...and then trade out the ingredients for the real version! It will take a little longer and will cost more...but what do you value more than your health?


I try to always have these baggies of raisins and raw nuts mixed and ready to go. Not pre-packaged and store bought...so it took a few minutes for me to get the stuff out and put it together myself. See? Small adjustments of planning ahead, but really...that's no big deal at all!

Lastly, I highly recommend a cast iron dutch oven. This is my Mother's from my sister Shannon at Christmas one year...yet I am reaping it's benefits (sneaky laugh:) ) No, really. My mom's oven was broken for a little bit and she couldn't cook or use it so she let me borrow it. Her oven is working again and I am just waiting for the "I need that back, sweetie" phone call from Momma.
And when I get that call I will make a static noise with my voice and pretend like I lost reception and just hang up and hope she gets distracted and forgets to call back so I can keep it longer.
Because I LOVE IT.
I use it everyday.
Cooking food slow and low is the key. Helps hold more nutrients.
Raw is the highest nutrients. Cooked is the lowest nutrients. But if you have to cook it (which who wants to eat raw beans and raw chicken?! Please don't do that...) then cook it low temperature and for a loooong time. And that's what the Dutch Oven is flawless about.
I've never burnt anything in a Dutch Oven.
I love Dutch Ovens.


Hope this helped some of you who have asked me questions. I hope you are encouraged to nourish yourself and your family by changing even ONE thing you eat today.
Let's eat!

5 comments:

humblelearning said...

I made chicken stock in that exact dutch oven today.

And get your OWN! Mom loves that thing! (she used it almost everyday when she was here) All of these emotions from childhood are RAISING up inside of me and making me want to fly down there and rescue back to Mom.




Heh.

Leslie said...

Pork stays in you for 14 days!! Gross! Thanks for ruining Whole Hog for me!

I am beginning to think of you every time I eat. Haha, it's always something like, "this would make Jessica barf!"

So is there anything you just can't give up? Any indulgences that you just have to cheat with every once in awhile?

Oh, and what about Thankgiving dinner?? Are you going to eat it? I couldn't give it up. I'm so weak!!

jessica kiehn said...

My indulgences are peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. Although they are both real foods. And real cocoa is good for you and has lots of antioxidants! I honestly don't feel good AT ALL if I eat something processed or whatever as of right now...maybe because I'm still in the detoxing process? but really...i'm not restricted by anything. I just eat food that is real...not like a special certain kind. So I'm not like GOSH i wish I could have a burger and fries...it's like I know what's in that burger in fries now and I just don't want to put that in my body. It's really very easy!

Thanksgiving I will eat the salad that my nanny makes every year, I will probably make and bring some muffins with honey, I will eat vegetables and whatever else is real and nutritious. I may also bring some back up like the faithful trail mix!

Leslie Shelton said...

Jessica, I have found that the more clean I eat, when I do eat something processed, I just have no tolerance for it anymore. I feel horrible, and it's a real turn off. Which works out great, because then I turn back to real food again. I almost panic a little when someone wants to "do lunch" at work, because there is literally not much out there that I will eat.

Kari Beth said...

You would seriously throw up if you came to my house right now. Halloween candy every where (that I'm eating while watching a movie) all processed and just super bad for you. I just told Aaron we need to take that class. Do you know when his next session starts?

We eat relatively healthy. But I just love the sweets so much !!! I honestly think I would miss baking. But I could always indulge once a month or something ;)

As always, thanks for inspiring me!

P.S. I just realized I have a Dutch oven in my cabinets. Saw it today while cleaning out cabinets & wondered what it was :). It's my cast iron though.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Food!

So, I've had a request for some actual, literal food ideas.
I am terrible at this, but I'll try.

Eating Real Food requires you to plan ahead. There is really no "fast food" when eating that way as far as a whole, hot meal. You can grab snacks that are real food, of course, but actual sit-down meals require planning ahead.
Usually every before I go to bed, I soak a bag of beans (black, red, pinto, whatever) and a bag of brown rice. In this picture I'm also soaking some almonds for a bean dip I made the next day.

Soaking breaks your food down and basically pre-digests it for you. The energy it takes for your body to break down and digest 3 cooked meals is equivalent to your body doing 8 hours of hard labor. Which, of course, this is how our bodies work and that's fine, but it's also highly beneficial to help your body digest food easier. You get more nutrients because a lot of the work is done for your body already. And you pass it quicker.
Did you know pork stays in your GI tract for fourteen days?! Gross.
Just sitting in your gut rotting.
Bleh.

Anyways, the point is to get all the nutrients you can, but keep your tract and your body flowing beautifully, and not overworking and getting stopped up and stressing over the food you feed it.

So...I soak food overnight. Oats, brown rice, beans, etc.


Here's an example of a part of a lunch:
Spinach with apple, avacados, quinoa (a whole grain!) chia seeds, and a honey mustard vinaigrette I made. (John teaches you to make your own dressings in his class)

Make a big salad like this, along with a soup and a whole grain bread like Ezekial bread and you have yourself a good dinner.


Here's another day's lunch.
Brown rice, avacado, black beans with the vinaigrette drizzled on top. So, so good.


Other dinner we've had are
-Spaghetti squash with organic marinara
-Local grass-fed beef stew with carrots and onions and homemade beef stock ( I could do a whole blog post of beef stock and it's benefits)
-Portabella mushroom Ezekial bread sandwhiches with avacado and organice tomato paste and tomatoes
-Lentil soup with carrots and onions and curry. Then blend it in the pot with a hand blender. So creamy and delicious!
-Brown rice pasta (available at Walmart) and organic marinara
-Wild salmon (must be wild and not farmed) with baked sweet potato and brown rice and spinach

The possibilities are really limitless. Just think of meals you like...and then trade out the ingredients for the real version! It will take a little longer and will cost more...but what do you value more than your health?


I try to always have these baggies of raisins and raw nuts mixed and ready to go. Not pre-packaged and store bought...so it took a few minutes for me to get the stuff out and put it together myself. See? Small adjustments of planning ahead, but really...that's no big deal at all!

Lastly, I highly recommend a cast iron dutch oven. This is my Mother's from my sister Shannon at Christmas one year...yet I am reaping it's benefits (sneaky laugh:) ) No, really. My mom's oven was broken for a little bit and she couldn't cook or use it so she let me borrow it. Her oven is working again and I am just waiting for the "I need that back, sweetie" phone call from Momma.
And when I get that call I will make a static noise with my voice and pretend like I lost reception and just hang up and hope she gets distracted and forgets to call back so I can keep it longer.
Because I LOVE IT.
I use it everyday.
Cooking food slow and low is the key. Helps hold more nutrients.
Raw is the highest nutrients. Cooked is the lowest nutrients. But if you have to cook it (which who wants to eat raw beans and raw chicken?! Please don't do that...) then cook it low temperature and for a loooong time. And that's what the Dutch Oven is flawless about.
I've never burnt anything in a Dutch Oven.
I love Dutch Ovens.


Hope this helped some of you who have asked me questions. I hope you are encouraged to nourish yourself and your family by changing even ONE thing you eat today.
Let's eat!

5 comments:

humblelearning said...

I made chicken stock in that exact dutch oven today.

And get your OWN! Mom loves that thing! (she used it almost everyday when she was here) All of these emotions from childhood are RAISING up inside of me and making me want to fly down there and rescue back to Mom.




Heh.

Leslie said...

Pork stays in you for 14 days!! Gross! Thanks for ruining Whole Hog for me!

I am beginning to think of you every time I eat. Haha, it's always something like, "this would make Jessica barf!"

So is there anything you just can't give up? Any indulgences that you just have to cheat with every once in awhile?

Oh, and what about Thankgiving dinner?? Are you going to eat it? I couldn't give it up. I'm so weak!!

jessica kiehn said...

My indulgences are peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. Although they are both real foods. And real cocoa is good for you and has lots of antioxidants! I honestly don't feel good AT ALL if I eat something processed or whatever as of right now...maybe because I'm still in the detoxing process? but really...i'm not restricted by anything. I just eat food that is real...not like a special certain kind. So I'm not like GOSH i wish I could have a burger and fries...it's like I know what's in that burger in fries now and I just don't want to put that in my body. It's really very easy!

Thanksgiving I will eat the salad that my nanny makes every year, I will probably make and bring some muffins with honey, I will eat vegetables and whatever else is real and nutritious. I may also bring some back up like the faithful trail mix!

Leslie Shelton said...

Jessica, I have found that the more clean I eat, when I do eat something processed, I just have no tolerance for it anymore. I feel horrible, and it's a real turn off. Which works out great, because then I turn back to real food again. I almost panic a little when someone wants to "do lunch" at work, because there is literally not much out there that I will eat.

Kari Beth said...

You would seriously throw up if you came to my house right now. Halloween candy every where (that I'm eating while watching a movie) all processed and just super bad for you. I just told Aaron we need to take that class. Do you know when his next session starts?

We eat relatively healthy. But I just love the sweets so much !!! I honestly think I would miss baking. But I could always indulge once a month or something ;)

As always, thanks for inspiring me!

P.S. I just realized I have a Dutch oven in my cabinets. Saw it today while cleaning out cabinets & wondered what it was :). It's my cast iron though.