Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rest


I am learning as I grow in age and by the Spirit the need to rest. Not only to physically and mentally rest, but to live constantly in His Rest. His peace that passes all understanding.
Have you seen families that lose a child and though it easily could, they don't allow that loss to throw them into depression and give up? Or people that lose their jobs, their homes, everything. Yet they somehow just boldly go on living and believing? That's the Rest. The priceless, irreplaceable rest that only the Holy Spirit inside of you can provide.

He's the Comforter in times of hurt when you need rest. But He is also the day-to-day rest. I can choose to look at my tasks, duties, to-dos, whatever and let it absolutely overwhelm and stress me out. Or I can choose to enter His rest. I can calmly look at my messy kitchen, take a deep breath, and say "Lord, thank you for all these dishes and food you have given us. We don't take it for granted. Help me have the endurance and patience to clean this all up...again...for the 5th time today."
When I choose to rest, and work in His rest, it changes everything.
My attitude.
My response.
My heart.

I have to trust that He knows when bills are due. He knows I like a clean house. He knows I have errands to run and groceries to buy and meals to figure out. He knows when a client needs to get in even though I don't have an opening. He knows all these things that tug and pull and sometimes overwhelm me. So don't you think He would provide a way for me to accomplish all of those things, but me be in charge of them, and not the other way around?

Who wants a frazzled, hectic, stressed boss? Do you respond well to a leader that has worry all over their face? I want to usher in peace and rest in our home and through me choosing to dwell in His presence while I do my tasks, it's absolutely possible. I do it all the time.

And the best part is...that when I stay in His presence, where the rest is, is that things naturally shift into place. The important things rise to the top and the lesser important things fall by the wayside or just get attention after everything else is taken care of. And I find myself caring less and less about having things perfect and more and more enamored with the daughter, husband, and the life He's given me.

I'll leave you with part of one of my favorite songs. We write most of our songs at church and this is one from a girl on the praise and worship team with us. To me, it so perfectly captures my determination to choose dwelling in Him and His rest. 

I lay aside anything
that would come against my purpose
In You I stay
You are my prize and You are worth it
Like in a hurricane, I stay in your eye and won't be moved
from  Your rest.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Jessica, your words lately have been so beautiful!! The Book of Jessica! Haha. But seriously. I can't believe how much you have grown, mentally and spiritually. You really see your desire to be a woman after God's heart in your wonderful words. Good job, friend! I'm praying that you find the rest in Him. The peace that only God can give you. It sounds like you are already in the right place!

Bethany said...

You have no idea how much I needed to read this today!!!

Haley Galloway said...

Needed that. Thank you!

Jenny said...

I needed this post. Thank you!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rest


I am learning as I grow in age and by the Spirit the need to rest. Not only to physically and mentally rest, but to live constantly in His Rest. His peace that passes all understanding.
Have you seen families that lose a child and though it easily could, they don't allow that loss to throw them into depression and give up? Or people that lose their jobs, their homes, everything. Yet they somehow just boldly go on living and believing? That's the Rest. The priceless, irreplaceable rest that only the Holy Spirit inside of you can provide.

He's the Comforter in times of hurt when you need rest. But He is also the day-to-day rest. I can choose to look at my tasks, duties, to-dos, whatever and let it absolutely overwhelm and stress me out. Or I can choose to enter His rest. I can calmly look at my messy kitchen, take a deep breath, and say "Lord, thank you for all these dishes and food you have given us. We don't take it for granted. Help me have the endurance and patience to clean this all up...again...for the 5th time today."
When I choose to rest, and work in His rest, it changes everything.
My attitude.
My response.
My heart.

I have to trust that He knows when bills are due. He knows I like a clean house. He knows I have errands to run and groceries to buy and meals to figure out. He knows when a client needs to get in even though I don't have an opening. He knows all these things that tug and pull and sometimes overwhelm me. So don't you think He would provide a way for me to accomplish all of those things, but me be in charge of them, and not the other way around?

Who wants a frazzled, hectic, stressed boss? Do you respond well to a leader that has worry all over their face? I want to usher in peace and rest in our home and through me choosing to dwell in His presence while I do my tasks, it's absolutely possible. I do it all the time.

And the best part is...that when I stay in His presence, where the rest is, is that things naturally shift into place. The important things rise to the top and the lesser important things fall by the wayside or just get attention after everything else is taken care of. And I find myself caring less and less about having things perfect and more and more enamored with the daughter, husband, and the life He's given me.

I'll leave you with part of one of my favorite songs. We write most of our songs at church and this is one from a girl on the praise and worship team with us. To me, it so perfectly captures my determination to choose dwelling in Him and His rest. 

I lay aside anything
that would come against my purpose
In You I stay
You are my prize and You are worth it
Like in a hurricane, I stay in your eye and won't be moved
from  Your rest.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Jessica, your words lately have been so beautiful!! The Book of Jessica! Haha. But seriously. I can't believe how much you have grown, mentally and spiritually. You really see your desire to be a woman after God's heart in your wonderful words. Good job, friend! I'm praying that you find the rest in Him. The peace that only God can give you. It sounds like you are already in the right place!

Bethany said...

You have no idea how much I needed to read this today!!!

Haley Galloway said...

Needed that. Thank you!

Jenny said...

I needed this post. Thank you!