Thursday, October 6, 2011

Real Food


Tonight we went to our first class of a 6-week course called John Robertson's Real Food Nutrition Class at Phat Tire Bike Shop here in our hometown.

It is an amazing learning experience and Kevin and I are both really excited to learn more and more about our bodies and how they heal themselves when nourished and fed properly. We learned so much about nourishing your body vs. eating. When your body is nourished, you will feel full. When it's lacking nourishment and vitamins and amino acids and proteins, you will feel starving and empty and that's when you do the whole raid-the-pantry-nothing-can-satisfy-me thing. You actually eat less when you eat real, wholesome foods that come from the earth in it's purest form. By eating what your great grandparents ate.
By not swinging through the drive-thru.
By not buying the boxed stuff.
Because it simply lacks ANY kind of nutrient that sustains, heals, or helps your body.

Have you ever seen the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? It's really amazing. If you have Netflix, it's on there. (Can I start getting some royalties for all the Netflix plugs I have on my blog please?!)
Anyway, we saw it a while back and it's great and it goes right along with what we were learning tonight.

Real Food is cool because it's not some new fangled diet. Or ground-breaking anything that will lose it's glamour and fade out. It's the ORIGINAL plan that worked.
ORIGINALLY we didn't have gyms and scheduled runs.
We worked in fields. We built our homes with our hands. We farmed to feed our families.
ORIGINALLY we didn't have processed, boxed, dyed, bleached, genetically modified foods.
We planted a seed and up came the nourishment we needed from the earth. In it's perfect form in many cases.

Since I don't work in a field (PTL) I will continue to come up with my own forms of exercise.
However, I can and will eat food the way it's supposed to be eaten.

As you all should know by now, I love original. I love real. I love the way things are supposed to be.

So I'll keep you posted as we learn cool new things/as I get revelation!

5 comments:

Haley Galloway said...

That is awesome! I never used to even think about what I put in to my body until I became pregnant. Brice and I have taken big steps since we first got married in, not just eating healthier, but REAL food. The biggest change we made was buying all organic meats, and it was a huge difference in taste, texture and satisfaction with the meal. We are buying all farm fresh stuff from this farm right in the little town we're moving to. There's also a ton of amish food stores where we will be living so it's so helpful when it's right at your finger tips.

Anyways! To answer your question about my pregnancies. This pregnancy has actually been much harder in a lot of ways. Which I was surprised about. I had WAY worse morning sickness this time. Literally couldn't keep anything but small bites of food down and water for about 5 weeks. Everything upset my stomach. With Sophie I had morning sickness but not to that extent. Also, this one has been way more stressful since I had that clot in the beginning which was a "threatened miscarriage" and constantly made me anxious. But the 2nd trimester has been very similar so far. I feel great and I felt great with Sophie too.

But I definitely started showing sooner and feeling the baby sooner this time! Which is fun!

Leslie Shelton said...

You know I'm on board with this! I'm the food freak, and proud of it! Keep spreading the word, Jess!

Dennis said...

Has the term paleo come up?

Leslie said...

You go ahead and take that class and then post all about it!! That way it's like I took the class for free and I didn't even have to leave my house. It'll be like my online college course.

Chrissy Galloway said...

So i'll keep this comment short and sweet. I love ALL of the above!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Real Food


Tonight we went to our first class of a 6-week course called John Robertson's Real Food Nutrition Class at Phat Tire Bike Shop here in our hometown.

It is an amazing learning experience and Kevin and I are both really excited to learn more and more about our bodies and how they heal themselves when nourished and fed properly. We learned so much about nourishing your body vs. eating. When your body is nourished, you will feel full. When it's lacking nourishment and vitamins and amino acids and proteins, you will feel starving and empty and that's when you do the whole raid-the-pantry-nothing-can-satisfy-me thing. You actually eat less when you eat real, wholesome foods that come from the earth in it's purest form. By eating what your great grandparents ate.
By not swinging through the drive-thru.
By not buying the boxed stuff.
Because it simply lacks ANY kind of nutrient that sustains, heals, or helps your body.

Have you ever seen the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? It's really amazing. If you have Netflix, it's on there. (Can I start getting some royalties for all the Netflix plugs I have on my blog please?!)
Anyway, we saw it a while back and it's great and it goes right along with what we were learning tonight.

Real Food is cool because it's not some new fangled diet. Or ground-breaking anything that will lose it's glamour and fade out. It's the ORIGINAL plan that worked.
ORIGINALLY we didn't have gyms and scheduled runs.
We worked in fields. We built our homes with our hands. We farmed to feed our families.
ORIGINALLY we didn't have processed, boxed, dyed, bleached, genetically modified foods.
We planted a seed and up came the nourishment we needed from the earth. In it's perfect form in many cases.

Since I don't work in a field (PTL) I will continue to come up with my own forms of exercise.
However, I can and will eat food the way it's supposed to be eaten.

As you all should know by now, I love original. I love real. I love the way things are supposed to be.

So I'll keep you posted as we learn cool new things/as I get revelation!

5 comments:

Haley Galloway said...

That is awesome! I never used to even think about what I put in to my body until I became pregnant. Brice and I have taken big steps since we first got married in, not just eating healthier, but REAL food. The biggest change we made was buying all organic meats, and it was a huge difference in taste, texture and satisfaction with the meal. We are buying all farm fresh stuff from this farm right in the little town we're moving to. There's also a ton of amish food stores where we will be living so it's so helpful when it's right at your finger tips.

Anyways! To answer your question about my pregnancies. This pregnancy has actually been much harder in a lot of ways. Which I was surprised about. I had WAY worse morning sickness this time. Literally couldn't keep anything but small bites of food down and water for about 5 weeks. Everything upset my stomach. With Sophie I had morning sickness but not to that extent. Also, this one has been way more stressful since I had that clot in the beginning which was a "threatened miscarriage" and constantly made me anxious. But the 2nd trimester has been very similar so far. I feel great and I felt great with Sophie too.

But I definitely started showing sooner and feeling the baby sooner this time! Which is fun!

Leslie Shelton said...

You know I'm on board with this! I'm the food freak, and proud of it! Keep spreading the word, Jess!

Dennis said...

Has the term paleo come up?

Leslie said...

You go ahead and take that class and then post all about it!! That way it's like I took the class for free and I didn't even have to leave my house. It'll be like my online college course.

Chrissy Galloway said...

So i'll keep this comment short and sweet. I love ALL of the above!