Friday, October 14, 2011

John Robertson's Real Food Class 2

Last night was so good at our nutrition class. We walked down the aisles of both Sam's Club and Walmart and he taught us what is great and what is not.

In a nutshell: Soy and Corn= BAD. Which I already knew. But I kind of let it roll here and there.
Not anymore!
I'm seeing that Soy and Corn is in everything. It's the two cheapest, easiest to produce vegetables therefore our food is stuffed full of it. Yet it has hardly any nutritional value.

-Our cowboy friend from Oklahoma that raises cattle told us corn has essentially no nutritional value once cooked. (Cattlemen feed their livestock corn, if that wasn't obvious)
-Years ago my friend that is a runway/fashion model in Los Angeles (and is super skinny) told me that she never eats anything corn. She said "that's what they feed animals to fatten them up for selling".
-I had a random facts app on my iPhone a couple years ago that said there is more nutritional value in the cardboard box of Corn Flakes than the actual cereal itself.
-And now in our class we're learning more about it and how to not consume it.
I love when things connect and make sense!


So companies have done study after study of making their not only nutritionally empty but harmful food look appealing.
"Berry Burst Whole Grain Guaranteed" sounds so great doesn't it? And that picture is gorgeous!
Well, big surprise, look at the ingredients:
whole grain oats
sugar
corn meal
modified corn starch
corn syrup
etc.
followed by a ton of ingredients we don't even know how to pronounce, many of which were made in a chemistry lab and then added to our food to make it look pretty longer.
It's disgusting.


Here's more marketing schemes.
 "oh! Natural Cheetos. Look at that soft brown and tan packaging. That looks so much more healthy than their normal all bright orange bag!" So you buy it, proud of yourself for being more natural.
Aaaaand let's read the ingredients:
CORN MEAL!
Yes it's organic, but it's still corn!
Organic means richer, more nutrient soil the food is grown in.
But since we've established yellow corn does not have much nutritional value whatsoever and it's just a cheap filler and starter for fake foods....organic or not, it's bad. It's nutritionally empty.

*just to let you know...all I did was Google "ingredient list" and these came up. I did not search for "corn in ingredient list". Try it out yourself. Google Ingredient List and have fun finding all the CORN AND SOY that is in everything. Or next time you go to the store, read the ingredients to your normal purchases. It's in everything.



We're being fed like livestock here. The cheapest, easiest ingredients that they can make money on and we get addicted (because corn is mostly carbohydrates and carbs turn to sugar and sugar is flat out addicting) and have to buy more more more. They don't care we are getting fat like the livestock. They don't care we are diseased. Doctors and insurance get more money that way, anyway so why stop it?

We are an obese nation. Diabetes is everywhere. Cancer is so common. Everyone is tired so they have to turn to even more unhealthy things to keep them going. It's a never ending cycle.

Until you break it. 
You vote with your dollar.
When you buy crap, crap keeps getting made. More and more and bigger and flashier and more in your face. Because that's what's selling.

So as far as this family goes, we just stay away from CORN and SOY products. It's really not that hard.
Today I've eaten:
-Green Monster Smoothie
(spinach, chia seeds, banana, wild blueberries, orange, lemon)
-raw nuts and raisins (high in fat and protein) But the fat your body uses for fuel backed up with nutrients. Not empty fat. Big difference.
-Black beans and brown rice (not white) with salsa.
-grapes

And I'm completely satisfied. It's crazy. If any of you know me personally I eat all the time. A lot. But I feel much more satisfied and not lacking anything so I'm not stuffing my face all day.

I'm telling you guys, if you are local you have GOT to take John's class, it's amazing! I've never felt so clean inside in all of my life.





7 comments:

Jenna said...

how do you find info about his class? this sounds amazing!

Leslie said...

First off, let me say that tonight under your "you might also like" thing, was my picture and the story of the ornament from last Christmas! Hahahahaha, still makes me smile!

Moving on... You know this isnt exactly my forte, but I love reading about you doing it. I can tell your being really inspired and making some big changes!! And no, I won't be offended when you don't eat any bday cake on Sun. More for me!

Also, I am learning a ton from your posts! And what you ate today...I am a little jealous of how rocking hot your body is/even will be!!

Leslie said...

I cant believe I just said your instead of you're. One of my pet peeves!

jessica kiehn said...

You said it correctly! "hot you are body is" would be incorrect. Your was right, Mrs. Grammar.

Leslie said...

Haha, actually, I was talking about when I said "your being inspired" in the earlier paragraph!! :)

KimKlip71 said...

Lots of good info! Just wondering if he has ever mentioned gluten. If he hasn't, ask him about it. Tell him there is a celiac in the family (me). It is hereditary and I know there has to be some other Kiehns that have it and haven't shown symptoms yet or will eventually trigger it. I am pretty sure my mom had it and it was the root of many of her health issues. I would love to have some of your quinoa recipes. I have used it before and would like to use it more, but don't really have good recipes.

Kari Beth said...

Let me know the next time he offers the class. Aaron & I would LOVE to take it!

Great info about corn & soy. I knew soy was bad for you and knew that some "corn" products were but had no idea how bad!

Friday, October 14, 2011

John Robertson's Real Food Class 2

Last night was so good at our nutrition class. We walked down the aisles of both Sam's Club and Walmart and he taught us what is great and what is not.

In a nutshell: Soy and Corn= BAD. Which I already knew. But I kind of let it roll here and there.
Not anymore!
I'm seeing that Soy and Corn is in everything. It's the two cheapest, easiest to produce vegetables therefore our food is stuffed full of it. Yet it has hardly any nutritional value.

-Our cowboy friend from Oklahoma that raises cattle told us corn has essentially no nutritional value once cooked. (Cattlemen feed their livestock corn, if that wasn't obvious)
-Years ago my friend that is a runway/fashion model in Los Angeles (and is super skinny) told me that she never eats anything corn. She said "that's what they feed animals to fatten them up for selling".
-I had a random facts app on my iPhone a couple years ago that said there is more nutritional value in the cardboard box of Corn Flakes than the actual cereal itself.
-And now in our class we're learning more about it and how to not consume it.
I love when things connect and make sense!


So companies have done study after study of making their not only nutritionally empty but harmful food look appealing.
"Berry Burst Whole Grain Guaranteed" sounds so great doesn't it? And that picture is gorgeous!
Well, big surprise, look at the ingredients:
whole grain oats
sugar
corn meal
modified corn starch
corn syrup
etc.
followed by a ton of ingredients we don't even know how to pronounce, many of which were made in a chemistry lab and then added to our food to make it look pretty longer.
It's disgusting.


Here's more marketing schemes.
 "oh! Natural Cheetos. Look at that soft brown and tan packaging. That looks so much more healthy than their normal all bright orange bag!" So you buy it, proud of yourself for being more natural.
Aaaaand let's read the ingredients:
CORN MEAL!
Yes it's organic, but it's still corn!
Organic means richer, more nutrient soil the food is grown in.
But since we've established yellow corn does not have much nutritional value whatsoever and it's just a cheap filler and starter for fake foods....organic or not, it's bad. It's nutritionally empty.

*just to let you know...all I did was Google "ingredient list" and these came up. I did not search for "corn in ingredient list". Try it out yourself. Google Ingredient List and have fun finding all the CORN AND SOY that is in everything. Or next time you go to the store, read the ingredients to your normal purchases. It's in everything.



We're being fed like livestock here. The cheapest, easiest ingredients that they can make money on and we get addicted (because corn is mostly carbohydrates and carbs turn to sugar and sugar is flat out addicting) and have to buy more more more. They don't care we are getting fat like the livestock. They don't care we are diseased. Doctors and insurance get more money that way, anyway so why stop it?

We are an obese nation. Diabetes is everywhere. Cancer is so common. Everyone is tired so they have to turn to even more unhealthy things to keep them going. It's a never ending cycle.

Until you break it. 
You vote with your dollar.
When you buy crap, crap keeps getting made. More and more and bigger and flashier and more in your face. Because that's what's selling.

So as far as this family goes, we just stay away from CORN and SOY products. It's really not that hard.
Today I've eaten:
-Green Monster Smoothie
(spinach, chia seeds, banana, wild blueberries, orange, lemon)
-raw nuts and raisins (high in fat and protein) But the fat your body uses for fuel backed up with nutrients. Not empty fat. Big difference.
-Black beans and brown rice (not white) with salsa.
-grapes

And I'm completely satisfied. It's crazy. If any of you know me personally I eat all the time. A lot. But I feel much more satisfied and not lacking anything so I'm not stuffing my face all day.

I'm telling you guys, if you are local you have GOT to take John's class, it's amazing! I've never felt so clean inside in all of my life.





7 comments:

Jenna said...

how do you find info about his class? this sounds amazing!

Leslie said...

First off, let me say that tonight under your "you might also like" thing, was my picture and the story of the ornament from last Christmas! Hahahahaha, still makes me smile!

Moving on... You know this isnt exactly my forte, but I love reading about you doing it. I can tell your being really inspired and making some big changes!! And no, I won't be offended when you don't eat any bday cake on Sun. More for me!

Also, I am learning a ton from your posts! And what you ate today...I am a little jealous of how rocking hot your body is/even will be!!

Leslie said...

I cant believe I just said your instead of you're. One of my pet peeves!

jessica kiehn said...

You said it correctly! "hot you are body is" would be incorrect. Your was right, Mrs. Grammar.

Leslie said...

Haha, actually, I was talking about when I said "your being inspired" in the earlier paragraph!! :)

KimKlip71 said...

Lots of good info! Just wondering if he has ever mentioned gluten. If he hasn't, ask him about it. Tell him there is a celiac in the family (me). It is hereditary and I know there has to be some other Kiehns that have it and haven't shown symptoms yet or will eventually trigger it. I am pretty sure my mom had it and it was the root of many of her health issues. I would love to have some of your quinoa recipes. I have used it before and would like to use it more, but don't really have good recipes.

Kari Beth said...

Let me know the next time he offers the class. Aaron & I would LOVE to take it!

Great info about corn & soy. I knew soy was bad for you and knew that some "corn" products were but had no idea how bad!