Friday, September 9, 2011

Planting Lettuce (with Photos)

Two posts in one day. Can you tell my daughter is taking a long nap and the house is (mostly) already picked up?

So I told you guys I was planting lettuce, and I just got around to it today.


The pot I had was given to me by our neighbor when she moved out. I was very thankful to receive it because these big terra cotta pots are expensive. Lettuce's roots are very shallow and don't need this much depth, but this is what I had.


My Mom taught me to put styrofoam at the bottom of the pot for a filler since you don't need all that space.


Next, lay a newspaper over the styrofoam as a level area so the dirt doesn't just all fall down into the styrofoam and waste expensive potting soil.


Pour your soil in.


Here's the mixed lettuce seeds. Sprinkle on top. I had no idea how much to do. I asked the sweet lady at the nursery 100 questions and she kept smiling like "oh, dear. You are incompetent." So I stopped with the questions and am just believing by faith I understood it all:)


The spinach. Are you getting as excited as I am?!



Sprinkle a thin layer of soil on top of seeds.


Water them.


Lastly, talked to them. Told them I'm their new mama and this is now their home, and told em why they're here. Grow my darlings!


I'll keep you posted on how well they do!

6 comments:

Brittany said...

Haha, LOVE IT!!!

Chrissy Galloway said...

AHHHH the picture of you talking to them....oh my! It cracked me up!

Leslie said...

First of all, who looks like THAT when they are gardening??? You look awesome. Love that yellow shirt. Where is it from?

And I will DIE LAUGHING if you end up with 1,000 heads of lettuce. I love how much seed you were using!!!

jessica kiehn said...

haha leslie! is that too much?! lol...i told u i had no idea! salads on me everybody!!

jessica kiehn said...

oh and that shirt is a hand me down from Kari Beth.

Dennis said...

"Grow little lettuce seeds...for tomorrow you DIE" Nice, Jessica, nice. I don't make friends with my food. Of course, most of what I like is made in a factory.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Planting Lettuce (with Photos)

Two posts in one day. Can you tell my daughter is taking a long nap and the house is (mostly) already picked up?

So I told you guys I was planting lettuce, and I just got around to it today.


The pot I had was given to me by our neighbor when she moved out. I was very thankful to receive it because these big terra cotta pots are expensive. Lettuce's roots are very shallow and don't need this much depth, but this is what I had.


My Mom taught me to put styrofoam at the bottom of the pot for a filler since you don't need all that space.


Next, lay a newspaper over the styrofoam as a level area so the dirt doesn't just all fall down into the styrofoam and waste expensive potting soil.


Pour your soil in.


Here's the mixed lettuce seeds. Sprinkle on top. I had no idea how much to do. I asked the sweet lady at the nursery 100 questions and she kept smiling like "oh, dear. You are incompetent." So I stopped with the questions and am just believing by faith I understood it all:)


The spinach. Are you getting as excited as I am?!



Sprinkle a thin layer of soil on top of seeds.


Water them.


Lastly, talked to them. Told them I'm their new mama and this is now their home, and told em why they're here. Grow my darlings!


I'll keep you posted on how well they do!

6 comments:

Brittany said...

Haha, LOVE IT!!!

Chrissy Galloway said...

AHHHH the picture of you talking to them....oh my! It cracked me up!

Leslie said...

First of all, who looks like THAT when they are gardening??? You look awesome. Love that yellow shirt. Where is it from?

And I will DIE LAUGHING if you end up with 1,000 heads of lettuce. I love how much seed you were using!!!

jessica kiehn said...

haha leslie! is that too much?! lol...i told u i had no idea! salads on me everybody!!

jessica kiehn said...

oh and that shirt is a hand me down from Kari Beth.

Dennis said...

"Grow little lettuce seeds...for tomorrow you DIE" Nice, Jessica, nice. I don't make friends with my food. Of course, most of what I like is made in a factory.