Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade Granola

One box of Cascadian Farms organic granola cereal is $3.28. 
We were buying one every week. That's $13.12 a month! 
Unacceptable, I thought. I'll just make my own!

So glad I did. 






And while I baked, Ruby and her cute little toddler mullet played.


Want the recipe? It's the best granola I've ever tasted. A little saltier than the store bought kind and I just love it. Plus...it looks so pretty sitting in the glass jar next to the flour on my kitchen countertop!

HOMEMADE GRANOLA
-6 cups rolled oats (NOT quick cooking oats) in a large bowl.
You can also add slivered almonds, roasted sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, etc.

In a separate, smaller bowl mix
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
a scant (meaning not quite to the line) 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I used coconut oil. You can use peanut. Just not olive)
I added cinnamon to taste.

Pour wet mixture into dry oats. Mix until evenly distributed.

Spread on two baking sheets and bake for 1.5 hours at 250, stirring once or twice. the oven doesn't even need to be preheated.

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container. You can now add in dried apples, raisins, dried cranberries, etc.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Kari Beth said...

Yum.my. I will DEFINITELY be making this. I LOVE granola with Greek yogurt :)

Leslie said...

I may not be a fan of granola, but I am a fan of your awesomeness. Way to go, mama! And what in the world do you do with all those lemons and limes?!?!?! Yes, her mullet is the best... She's breaking my heart. My achy breaky heart.

Annie said...

RUBY! You are SOOOOOO CUTE! I am printing this recipe now! LOVE IT!

Sheryl said...

Awesome Jessica! Love the recipe....(I too love granola on my greek yogurt). I'm going to try this!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade Granola

One box of Cascadian Farms organic granola cereal is $3.28. 
We were buying one every week. That's $13.12 a month! 
Unacceptable, I thought. I'll just make my own!

So glad I did. 






And while I baked, Ruby and her cute little toddler mullet played.


Want the recipe? It's the best granola I've ever tasted. A little saltier than the store bought kind and I just love it. Plus...it looks so pretty sitting in the glass jar next to the flour on my kitchen countertop!

HOMEMADE GRANOLA
-6 cups rolled oats (NOT quick cooking oats) in a large bowl.
You can also add slivered almonds, roasted sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, etc.

In a separate, smaller bowl mix
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
a scant (meaning not quite to the line) 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I used coconut oil. You can use peanut. Just not olive)
I added cinnamon to taste.

Pour wet mixture into dry oats. Mix until evenly distributed.

Spread on two baking sheets and bake for 1.5 hours at 250, stirring once or twice. the oven doesn't even need to be preheated.

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container. You can now add in dried apples, raisins, dried cranberries, etc.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Kari Beth said...

Yum.my. I will DEFINITELY be making this. I LOVE granola with Greek yogurt :)

Leslie said...

I may not be a fan of granola, but I am a fan of your awesomeness. Way to go, mama! And what in the world do you do with all those lemons and limes?!?!?! Yes, her mullet is the best... She's breaking my heart. My achy breaky heart.

Annie said...

RUBY! You are SOOOOOO CUTE! I am printing this recipe now! LOVE IT!

Sheryl said...

Awesome Jessica! Love the recipe....(I too love granola on my greek yogurt). I'm going to try this!