Friday, August 26, 2011

Inspired In The Kitchen

Every time I hang out with my good friend Kari Beth, I am in awe of how much the girl cooks and bakes. She works and has a toddler, yet EVERY NIGHT there is a meal made and on the table. And I don't mean boxed dinners where you add a cup of water...an actual MEAL...with side items. (Side items are always so difficult for me to pull together, I don't know why)

I call her my kitchen hero. 
She told me about beans and cornbread and how it's perfect for when you are 
1. on a tight food budget
2. like simple, all natural, and healthy recipes. 

I fit both of those things! So I love this meal! And make it about once every two weeks!
(Sadly, Kevin does not like it...but he takes one for the family every now and then because me and Jamesie scarf it down)

It's hard to make food look good in pictures. How does Pioneer Woman do it?!


Just slosh together your beans and cornbread and drizzle honey all on it and you've got a protein-packed deeeeelicious pig-slop looking meal.

I LOVE when I find a meal she likes.


So no, please don't think that I'm such a bad cook that beans and cornbread was my big debut. I'm just saying, that's a recipe that KB gave me and I love. The point is that she inspired to me like cooking in the kitchen again and to find it a joy to provide food and nutrients for my family, not a "task".

Now...not everything this Momma makes has nutrients. Mostly, but not always.
These do not.
But the taste of them will make you forget the word nutrients all together.
One of my delights in life is the Dark Chocolate cookies from Subway. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm so sorry. 
I love them so much. And I'm not really a big Dark Chocolate type of person.
Anyways...KB inspired me to bake and I'd had this recipe for a while when my friend made these cookie and I couldn't believe it. The Subway cookies!





*Subway's has White Chocolate Chips but the recipe calls for semi-sweet and I already had those so I just used those, but it's up to you.

1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1 cup (I just eyeball depending how chippy I want it) semi-sweet choc. chips

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with spoon until thoroughly blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by level measuring tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350 for 12 min (cookies will still look puffed) Remove to cooling racks.

Enjoy!!

6 comments:

humblelearning said...

So are they as good?!

jessica kiehn said...

yes. especially when I also made vanilla frosting and made cookie sandwhiches out of them.

Leslie said...

You and I must be one some deep unconscious connection. I had a MAJOR life change this week. Well, not "life" change, but more like wife/mom/cooking change. I was going to blog about it when I got the chance. It's about cooking too.

But anyway, I love the sweet pic of her looking in the oven. Like she can't wait for your delicious cookies!!!

Kari Beth said...

Can't wait to make these. They are yummy!!!

I'm glad that I can inspire you in the kitchen. Cooking/baking is fun for me but it has taken time to find joy in it & I do love knowing what I'm feeding my family especially Elle Louise. I want her to grow up with a good relationship with food. I've not always had the best & it's taken me time to love eating at home. I grew up on drive thru foods and delivered pizza & we never sat down together for a meal. I vowed my family would eat every meal together at the table & enjoy just being together around the dinner table! So far so good!!!

I've got a couple good AND EASY recipes to pass on. Eggplant pasta (could probably do with any veggies) & quinoa stuffed peppers!

And I'm still contemplating the meal plan posts every week. Maybe on Mondays. Call it "meal plan monday"

Chrissy Galloway said...

Cornbread and beans is such a southern comfort food, I just cannot get into it though. But those cookies...ohhhh those cookies. YUM!

Molly Carman said...

Oh man, my family used to eat beans and cornbread at least once a week. If it wasn't that, it was potato soup and cornbread.
Also, those cookies look super delish.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Inspired In The Kitchen

Every time I hang out with my good friend Kari Beth, I am in awe of how much the girl cooks and bakes. She works and has a toddler, yet EVERY NIGHT there is a meal made and on the table. And I don't mean boxed dinners where you add a cup of water...an actual MEAL...with side items. (Side items are always so difficult for me to pull together, I don't know why)

I call her my kitchen hero. 
She told me about beans and cornbread and how it's perfect for when you are 
1. on a tight food budget
2. like simple, all natural, and healthy recipes. 

I fit both of those things! So I love this meal! And make it about once every two weeks!
(Sadly, Kevin does not like it...but he takes one for the family every now and then because me and Jamesie scarf it down)

It's hard to make food look good in pictures. How does Pioneer Woman do it?!


Just slosh together your beans and cornbread and drizzle honey all on it and you've got a protein-packed deeeeelicious pig-slop looking meal.

I LOVE when I find a meal she likes.


So no, please don't think that I'm such a bad cook that beans and cornbread was my big debut. I'm just saying, that's a recipe that KB gave me and I love. The point is that she inspired to me like cooking in the kitchen again and to find it a joy to provide food and nutrients for my family, not a "task".

Now...not everything this Momma makes has nutrients. Mostly, but not always.
These do not.
But the taste of them will make you forget the word nutrients all together.
One of my delights in life is the Dark Chocolate cookies from Subway. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm so sorry. 
I love them so much. And I'm not really a big Dark Chocolate type of person.
Anyways...KB inspired me to bake and I'd had this recipe for a while when my friend made these cookie and I couldn't believe it. The Subway cookies!





*Subway's has White Chocolate Chips but the recipe calls for semi-sweet and I already had those so I just used those, but it's up to you.

1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1 cup (I just eyeball depending how chippy I want it) semi-sweet choc. chips

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with spoon until thoroughly blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by level measuring tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350 for 12 min (cookies will still look puffed) Remove to cooling racks.

Enjoy!!

6 comments:

humblelearning said...

So are they as good?!

jessica kiehn said...

yes. especially when I also made vanilla frosting and made cookie sandwhiches out of them.

Leslie said...

You and I must be one some deep unconscious connection. I had a MAJOR life change this week. Well, not "life" change, but more like wife/mom/cooking change. I was going to blog about it when I got the chance. It's about cooking too.

But anyway, I love the sweet pic of her looking in the oven. Like she can't wait for your delicious cookies!!!

Kari Beth said...

Can't wait to make these. They are yummy!!!

I'm glad that I can inspire you in the kitchen. Cooking/baking is fun for me but it has taken time to find joy in it & I do love knowing what I'm feeding my family especially Elle Louise. I want her to grow up with a good relationship with food. I've not always had the best & it's taken me time to love eating at home. I grew up on drive thru foods and delivered pizza & we never sat down together for a meal. I vowed my family would eat every meal together at the table & enjoy just being together around the dinner table! So far so good!!!

I've got a couple good AND EASY recipes to pass on. Eggplant pasta (could probably do with any veggies) & quinoa stuffed peppers!

And I'm still contemplating the meal plan posts every week. Maybe on Mondays. Call it "meal plan monday"

Chrissy Galloway said...

Cornbread and beans is such a southern comfort food, I just cannot get into it though. But those cookies...ohhhh those cookies. YUM!

Molly Carman said...

Oh man, my family used to eat beans and cornbread at least once a week. If it wasn't that, it was potato soup and cornbread.
Also, those cookies look super delish.