Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Such a Little Lady

My beautiful one year old.
Such a little lady.
Today, she wanted the make-up brush I was holding so I let her hold it thinking keep an eye on her, cause she's just gonna chew on that...
I looked down at her and there she was, softly rubbing the brush on her face, exactly what you're supposed to do with it.




She watches me and thinks everything I do is cool.
What an eye opener that is.

The other day the Holy Spirit told me something so powerful and so amazing. It's something we all know, but it ministered so strongly to me and keeps coming up in my mind and spirit over and over.
I was putting Ruby's socks on and she was frustrated and I was frustrated and I was whipping this here and that there, and she was whipping her feet away from me and it was just bad. I said "Ruby! You need to be calm and gentle!" in a short-tempered voice.

And Holy Spirit said
"if you want your daughter to be calm and gentle, then YOU be calm and gentle."

I mentally stepped back from the situation and saw my relationship with Ruby completely different.
She feeds off of me.
She watches me to see how I respond, so she knows how to respond.
If I want to see something change in her, something must change in me first.

So lately I have been more calm, and more gentle.
And so has she.
And it's been so cool, and so beautiful.

What a faithful Father we have, to patiently teach us and show us how to raise the children He gave us.

1 comment:

Kari Beth said...

Ruby looks so much like Kevin in the fisrt picture!

I needed to read this today. Elle and I have some issues with communicATING. I know I need to set a better example for her!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Such a Little Lady

My beautiful one year old.
Such a little lady.
Today, she wanted the make-up brush I was holding so I let her hold it thinking keep an eye on her, cause she's just gonna chew on that...
I looked down at her and there she was, softly rubbing the brush on her face, exactly what you're supposed to do with it.




She watches me and thinks everything I do is cool.
What an eye opener that is.

The other day the Holy Spirit told me something so powerful and so amazing. It's something we all know, but it ministered so strongly to me and keeps coming up in my mind and spirit over and over.
I was putting Ruby's socks on and she was frustrated and I was frustrated and I was whipping this here and that there, and she was whipping her feet away from me and it was just bad. I said "Ruby! You need to be calm and gentle!" in a short-tempered voice.

And Holy Spirit said
"if you want your daughter to be calm and gentle, then YOU be calm and gentle."

I mentally stepped back from the situation and saw my relationship with Ruby completely different.
She feeds off of me.
She watches me to see how I respond, so she knows how to respond.
If I want to see something change in her, something must change in me first.

So lately I have been more calm, and more gentle.
And so has she.
And it's been so cool, and so beautiful.

What a faithful Father we have, to patiently teach us and show us how to raise the children He gave us.

1 comment:

Kari Beth said...

Ruby looks so much like Kevin in the fisrt picture!

I needed to read this today. Elle and I have some issues with communicATING. I know I need to set a better example for her!