Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree

This is what our tree looks like this year.

Plain as can be.
(that big water bottle is normally hidden by furniture and stays in that corner close to the door so I can easily water the front porch plants, if you must know. And nope, I haven't yet moved it away from the Christmas tree. And since I will comment on it when I later see this post in my scrapbook, yes, Jessica...the picture is blurry).

The reason it's so empty is because I don't want an all fancy, store-bought perfect ornaments Christmas tree. I want tons and tons of homemade ornaments from when this kid was this age and this one was that age. I want grandma-esque ornaments that have a story to go with them. I want to hang the ornament and say "oh, I remember the Christmas so and so gave us this" and I want to have a memory with each one that hangs.

So since this Kiehn family Christmas is a fairly new thing (this is mine and Kevin's 7th Christmas together, but only 3rd married) we only have like...one or two ornaments. So until my cheesy little un-matching, messy Christmas tree/ornament dream can come true, our tree will have to look like this as we collect and make ornaments over the years.

So if any of you, dear friends, want to forever be a part of our Christmas tradition and memories as we decorate our tree...send us an ornament! We'll hang it, promise! :)

3 comments:

annie farrar said...

Aw! Love this! Our tree does have some colored balls but has a TON of hand made ornaments by me or Lance or friends! I HATE themey fancy schmancy trees! I love our personal homeade tree! Email me your address and I'll send you one of my fave's! (a duplicate) ;)

Meredith said...

Hey I love reading your blog you have the cutiest ideas...I love the idea of hand made ornaments I hate trees that are all matchy matchy....

Kari Beth said...

What happened to your presents post? I wanted to comment "I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!"

Meant to show you this ornament kit I got at hob-lob to make Elle's handprint with! Super fun!!!!! I WILL BE GETTING AN ORNAMENT FOR THAT TREE! Is it ok if it's store bought?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree

This is what our tree looks like this year.

Plain as can be.
(that big water bottle is normally hidden by furniture and stays in that corner close to the door so I can easily water the front porch plants, if you must know. And nope, I haven't yet moved it away from the Christmas tree. And since I will comment on it when I later see this post in my scrapbook, yes, Jessica...the picture is blurry).

The reason it's so empty is because I don't want an all fancy, store-bought perfect ornaments Christmas tree. I want tons and tons of homemade ornaments from when this kid was this age and this one was that age. I want grandma-esque ornaments that have a story to go with them. I want to hang the ornament and say "oh, I remember the Christmas so and so gave us this" and I want to have a memory with each one that hangs.

So since this Kiehn family Christmas is a fairly new thing (this is mine and Kevin's 7th Christmas together, but only 3rd married) we only have like...one or two ornaments. So until my cheesy little un-matching, messy Christmas tree/ornament dream can come true, our tree will have to look like this as we collect and make ornaments over the years.

So if any of you, dear friends, want to forever be a part of our Christmas tradition and memories as we decorate our tree...send us an ornament! We'll hang it, promise! :)

3 comments:

annie farrar said...

Aw! Love this! Our tree does have some colored balls but has a TON of hand made ornaments by me or Lance or friends! I HATE themey fancy schmancy trees! I love our personal homeade tree! Email me your address and I'll send you one of my fave's! (a duplicate) ;)

Meredith said...

Hey I love reading your blog you have the cutiest ideas...I love the idea of hand made ornaments I hate trees that are all matchy matchy....

Kari Beth said...

What happened to your presents post? I wanted to comment "I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!"

Meant to show you this ornament kit I got at hob-lob to make Elle's handprint with! Super fun!!!!! I WILL BE GETTING AN ORNAMENT FOR THAT TREE! Is it ok if it's store bought?