Monday, November 15, 2010

My Baby Must Haves

I have only been a Mom for 8 1/2 months (not including the 9 she spent inside me of course) but I have found in that time some things that I love and will use with all my babies, and some things that I found to be unnecessary.


Love:
The Moby Wrap. My all-time absolute MUST HAVE, favorite product of all. Can I make it any more clear?? They look weird and intimidating if you've never used one, but the moment you do...you'll fall in love. Not only will you fall in love...your sweet little baby will. Even if Ruby was not tired, if I put her in this as an infant she was asleep within seconds. They love the warmth of being next to their Momma, they are right on your chest so they hear your heartbeat like they did in the womb, and they go everywhere with you, feeling the sway of your walk, the sound of your voice...it's just all so good.

The Bumbo. We used this all the time. Perfect for them to feel big sitting up, and for you to have a break from holding them all the time. I used to set Ruby up on the counter and she'd watch me cook everyday. Because babies like to up with you, not laying on the floor while all the action is counter-top level and above. You have to be careful, though, because once they get big and strong enough (like she is now) they can work themselves out of it, so no counter sitting!! But for when they are too little to sit on their own, this is great.


Some sort of Jumper. We got this one as a gift from my sweet Nanny, and it's a little big. If I had to choose I'd do something smaller like a Johnny Jump Up, but this also has more things on the side for her to play with. She went through a phase where she LOVED this thing. It worked her leg muscles and she loved showing off. If you think it gave me some time to get stuff done while she was in it you're wrong... She ONLY liked it if you were right there, sitting across from her making sounds like you were impressed by her.

Soft baby clothes. I will never ever ever dress my newborns in jeans, shoes, corduroy vests, beaded shirts, etc. They just came from the womb, the safest, most natural place on earth. Our world is toxic enough for them to come out to, I don't need to dress them like a teenager when they are weeks old. (Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves?)

Hate to admit it, but pacifiers. We're being very cautious to not get her addicted to it (for instance, we don't shove it in her mouth anytime she fusses a bit) and we only use it for sleeping or in the car, not regular daytime play. But it soothes her and well, pacifies her, and I'd want it if I were her. So we don't leave the house without one, and I assume all my babies will like these.

Cloth diapers. We all know how I feel about them. Got introduced to them by my sister, and have been hooked ever since. I love cloth diapering. Everything about it. It's better in every single sense of the matter so why the heck not do it? This is another one of those "looks weird and intimidating" at first type of things, but once you try it for yourself you have one of those light bulb moments like "why have I not been doing this all along?!".



Now for things I thought I needed but could have done without:

The Boppy. I never really used it for breastfeeding. It almost made nursing her more awkward and uncomfortable. I preferred holding her myself and we fit together like a puzzle, instead of this big bulky round thing in the way.
***Post Edit: After writing this today I thought I'd try the Boppy again while nursing Ruby to sleep becaue I hadn't in forever. I was very wrong. I think I love it. Now that she's bigger and heavier it really takes a lot of the weight off and makes my posture so much better. So...I was wrong.
Bottles. I stay home and breastfeed her...I'm not sure why I registered for (and got) so many bottles? Never used any of them but one, and that's on the rare occasion somebody watches her for a long period of time.

Johnson & Johnson Baby Care products. Have tons of them and never ever used them. I'm not going to put all that crap on my precious newborn! I won't even put it on Ruby now. Perfumes and dyes and chemicals to put on your baby's skin (which is soaked into their bloodstream) just so they can "smell like a baby"? Leave your babies' skin alone and THAT'S what smelling like a baby is. And it's waaay more precious than  what J&J can come up with, I promise.



Anyway, that's my little two cents.
What are some of your Baby Must-Haves?

5 comments:

humblelearning said...

Breasts.

Leslie said...

Haha, I am cracking up because everything on the second list are my must haves! I used my Boppy literally EVERY single time I nursed. It took so much strain off my shoulders. I love Johnson's stuff too. So funny! And you wouldn't catch me dead using one of those wrap things! Could we be anymore opposite? Haha!

I am glad that all us different moms can learn from each other!

Juli said...

i agree with some of yours...but i completely disagree with the boppy! i STILL use mine. love love love mine. quite possibly would have died with out it!

i love my moby wrap, but still look like ive got tourrettes of the body trying to get it on right..and comfortably, then still fail on occasion lol. i wish someone would come tutor me in wrapping correctly, and easily! lol.

NEITHER of my boys would take pacifiers :( i wish they would've, but it was a very rare occasion if they took it!

bottles are great for me while i'm working. i pump at work, and the babe has to eat while i'm gone. it did take us awhile though, that wouldn't give Landy horrible gas.

one of my other all time favorites? my WIPES warmer! both my boys love them.
and my diaper genie.

i applaud you for your cloth diapers...i don't have the time or commitment for them, but i always thought they were awesome!

Haley Galloway said...

I'm totally making a list like this Jessica! Love it.

Kari Beth said...

wonder why i'm commenting so much? well, i have an answer...for some reason i can't comment when on our MAC or on my iPhone...who knows? its probably the user :). i'm at work today and we are kind of slow...so i'm catching up on my commenting!

love this post! i dressed elle like a tween straight out of the womb (well when we went out for the first time when she was 21 days old, so pretty much straight out of the womb). she looked darling, but looking back i hate that i did that to her and i have vowed to never do it with my other children. there is a time for that! i wish i would have just cherished her tininess and put her in the softest onesies all the time!

seriously girl, you are my superhero for cloth diapering! i'm going to try it with my next for sure! but just was too scared with elle for some reason...but we do use 7th Generation...so we are doing good for elle's hiney and the enviro :)...NEVER used our boppy either. did use the boppy newborn lounger. we do use a couple Johnson's products. The night soother (it has less chemicals and dyes...what?...) and the Johnson's naturals. LOVE our Moby! And our Bjorn! MUST HAVES for sure!!!! and, of course, you know i'm all about the bottles. have to for work. we use GLASS too!

Monday, November 15, 2010

My Baby Must Haves

I have only been a Mom for 8 1/2 months (not including the 9 she spent inside me of course) but I have found in that time some things that I love and will use with all my babies, and some things that I found to be unnecessary.


Love:
The Moby Wrap. My all-time absolute MUST HAVE, favorite product of all. Can I make it any more clear?? They look weird and intimidating if you've never used one, but the moment you do...you'll fall in love. Not only will you fall in love...your sweet little baby will. Even if Ruby was not tired, if I put her in this as an infant she was asleep within seconds. They love the warmth of being next to their Momma, they are right on your chest so they hear your heartbeat like they did in the womb, and they go everywhere with you, feeling the sway of your walk, the sound of your voice...it's just all so good.

The Bumbo. We used this all the time. Perfect for them to feel big sitting up, and for you to have a break from holding them all the time. I used to set Ruby up on the counter and she'd watch me cook everyday. Because babies like to up with you, not laying on the floor while all the action is counter-top level and above. You have to be careful, though, because once they get big and strong enough (like she is now) they can work themselves out of it, so no counter sitting!! But for when they are too little to sit on their own, this is great.


Some sort of Jumper. We got this one as a gift from my sweet Nanny, and it's a little big. If I had to choose I'd do something smaller like a Johnny Jump Up, but this also has more things on the side for her to play with. She went through a phase where she LOVED this thing. It worked her leg muscles and she loved showing off. If you think it gave me some time to get stuff done while she was in it you're wrong... She ONLY liked it if you were right there, sitting across from her making sounds like you were impressed by her.

Soft baby clothes. I will never ever ever dress my newborns in jeans, shoes, corduroy vests, beaded shirts, etc. They just came from the womb, the safest, most natural place on earth. Our world is toxic enough for them to come out to, I don't need to dress them like a teenager when they are weeks old. (Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves?)

Hate to admit it, but pacifiers. We're being very cautious to not get her addicted to it (for instance, we don't shove it in her mouth anytime she fusses a bit) and we only use it for sleeping or in the car, not regular daytime play. But it soothes her and well, pacifies her, and I'd want it if I were her. So we don't leave the house without one, and I assume all my babies will like these.

Cloth diapers. We all know how I feel about them. Got introduced to them by my sister, and have been hooked ever since. I love cloth diapering. Everything about it. It's better in every single sense of the matter so why the heck not do it? This is another one of those "looks weird and intimidating" at first type of things, but once you try it for yourself you have one of those light bulb moments like "why have I not been doing this all along?!".



Now for things I thought I needed but could have done without:

The Boppy. I never really used it for breastfeeding. It almost made nursing her more awkward and uncomfortable. I preferred holding her myself and we fit together like a puzzle, instead of this big bulky round thing in the way.
***Post Edit: After writing this today I thought I'd try the Boppy again while nursing Ruby to sleep becaue I hadn't in forever. I was very wrong. I think I love it. Now that she's bigger and heavier it really takes a lot of the weight off and makes my posture so much better. So...I was wrong.
Bottles. I stay home and breastfeed her...I'm not sure why I registered for (and got) so many bottles? Never used any of them but one, and that's on the rare occasion somebody watches her for a long period of time.

Johnson & Johnson Baby Care products. Have tons of them and never ever used them. I'm not going to put all that crap on my precious newborn! I won't even put it on Ruby now. Perfumes and dyes and chemicals to put on your baby's skin (which is soaked into their bloodstream) just so they can "smell like a baby"? Leave your babies' skin alone and THAT'S what smelling like a baby is. And it's waaay more precious than  what J&J can come up with, I promise.



Anyway, that's my little two cents.
What are some of your Baby Must-Haves?

5 comments:

humblelearning said...

Breasts.

Leslie said...

Haha, I am cracking up because everything on the second list are my must haves! I used my Boppy literally EVERY single time I nursed. It took so much strain off my shoulders. I love Johnson's stuff too. So funny! And you wouldn't catch me dead using one of those wrap things! Could we be anymore opposite? Haha!

I am glad that all us different moms can learn from each other!

Juli said...

i agree with some of yours...but i completely disagree with the boppy! i STILL use mine. love love love mine. quite possibly would have died with out it!

i love my moby wrap, but still look like ive got tourrettes of the body trying to get it on right..and comfortably, then still fail on occasion lol. i wish someone would come tutor me in wrapping correctly, and easily! lol.

NEITHER of my boys would take pacifiers :( i wish they would've, but it was a very rare occasion if they took it!

bottles are great for me while i'm working. i pump at work, and the babe has to eat while i'm gone. it did take us awhile though, that wouldn't give Landy horrible gas.

one of my other all time favorites? my WIPES warmer! both my boys love them.
and my diaper genie.

i applaud you for your cloth diapers...i don't have the time or commitment for them, but i always thought they were awesome!

Haley Galloway said...

I'm totally making a list like this Jessica! Love it.

Kari Beth said...

wonder why i'm commenting so much? well, i have an answer...for some reason i can't comment when on our MAC or on my iPhone...who knows? its probably the user :). i'm at work today and we are kind of slow...so i'm catching up on my commenting!

love this post! i dressed elle like a tween straight out of the womb (well when we went out for the first time when she was 21 days old, so pretty much straight out of the womb). she looked darling, but looking back i hate that i did that to her and i have vowed to never do it with my other children. there is a time for that! i wish i would have just cherished her tininess and put her in the softest onesies all the time!

seriously girl, you are my superhero for cloth diapering! i'm going to try it with my next for sure! but just was too scared with elle for some reason...but we do use 7th Generation...so we are doing good for elle's hiney and the enviro :)...NEVER used our boppy either. did use the boppy newborn lounger. we do use a couple Johnson's products. The night soother (it has less chemicals and dyes...what?...) and the Johnson's naturals. LOVE our Moby! And our Bjorn! MUST HAVES for sure!!!! and, of course, you know i'm all about the bottles. have to for work. we use GLASS too!