Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making Baby Food

Look what I did today!
Made baby food for Ruby girl! I had heard about this through friends and then inspired and got more clarity of the matter from Annie. So I decided to go ahead and jump into it. So glad I did! I love knowing what's in Ruby's food, I love that I made it, and I love that it's done and all I have to do now is pull it out and reheat it!
(Although I'm fairly anti-microwave so I'm not entirely sure the best way to reheat them...)

We started off doing Baby Led Weaning which I love certain parts of. I love teaching Ruby to chomp and chew on foods so she's not a big choker/gagger. I love teaching her at such a young age how to handle food and how it all works. However, I don't think my 8 month old needs salts and sugars. I'm not going to put that in her little body already! And she simply wasn't getting enough actual food or nutrients from the tiny bit she did. So here's a balance. I'll hand her certain foods that she can hold/handle herself (think cucumber slices, banana halves, cracker, avacado, etc) but not just whatever I'm eating (which is the Baby Led Weaning way) because Momma's eating salt and sugar, let's be honest.

(No, my burners are not purple, it's just the lighting. I wish, though...)




While our veggies cooked, I pulled Ruby around on this blanket, a favorite pasttime of ours around here. 

After you cook the veggies (or fruit, I'm going to do fruit next) blend them down very fine (again...couldn't have done it with the recommended AMAZING Oster Hand Blender that Annie showed me) That thing makes it sooo smooth.

 Put the puree into ice cube trays like this, freeze them, and then pop them out into little baggies.
Label them.
And you're done!
So now while I'm making mine and Kev's dinner I just reheat a few of these and we're golden! I love it!



6 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

I did the exact same thing for the boys. It's not just healthier, it's cheaper too! They never ate baby food from a jar, most of my friends thought I was crazy. Eh. I loved making their food. I found a recipe book for baby and toddler food that I am going to buy for the next one. I'm pretty excited about it. Oh, and the fellas loved being pulled around in a blanket like that too. We have home videos of it. I love that babies keep it so simple when it comes to being entertained!

Jenny Galloway said...

I also steamed the fruits, it helps break down the sugars in them so they aren't as hard on the babies tummies. Basically so they don't get gas pains, or sour stomaches.

annie farrar said...

way to go girl!!!!! Isn't it SOOOO stinkin easy! Why waste money on jar baby food when the real deal is so easy! So glad you tried it!!! Hope Ruby girl loves it! Eastons favorite by far are sweet potatoes and peaches! Have fun!!!

bryan and jenna said...

love this! i will probably be asking you for tips in a few months!

Carman said...

We're going this route, too. Why buy jars of it when you can make it so easily, right? I like the idea that when Laine eats sweet potatoes, she's actually eating just sweet potatoes.

Leslie said...

This is so cute!!! Good job, mama!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making Baby Food

Look what I did today!
Made baby food for Ruby girl! I had heard about this through friends and then inspired and got more clarity of the matter from Annie. So I decided to go ahead and jump into it. So glad I did! I love knowing what's in Ruby's food, I love that I made it, and I love that it's done and all I have to do now is pull it out and reheat it!
(Although I'm fairly anti-microwave so I'm not entirely sure the best way to reheat them...)

We started off doing Baby Led Weaning which I love certain parts of. I love teaching Ruby to chomp and chew on foods so she's not a big choker/gagger. I love teaching her at such a young age how to handle food and how it all works. However, I don't think my 8 month old needs salts and sugars. I'm not going to put that in her little body already! And she simply wasn't getting enough actual food or nutrients from the tiny bit she did. So here's a balance. I'll hand her certain foods that she can hold/handle herself (think cucumber slices, banana halves, cracker, avacado, etc) but not just whatever I'm eating (which is the Baby Led Weaning way) because Momma's eating salt and sugar, let's be honest.

(No, my burners are not purple, it's just the lighting. I wish, though...)




While our veggies cooked, I pulled Ruby around on this blanket, a favorite pasttime of ours around here. 

After you cook the veggies (or fruit, I'm going to do fruit next) blend them down very fine (again...couldn't have done it with the recommended AMAZING Oster Hand Blender that Annie showed me) That thing makes it sooo smooth.

 Put the puree into ice cube trays like this, freeze them, and then pop them out into little baggies.
Label them.
And you're done!
So now while I'm making mine and Kev's dinner I just reheat a few of these and we're golden! I love it!



6 comments:

Jenny Galloway said...

I did the exact same thing for the boys. It's not just healthier, it's cheaper too! They never ate baby food from a jar, most of my friends thought I was crazy. Eh. I loved making their food. I found a recipe book for baby and toddler food that I am going to buy for the next one. I'm pretty excited about it. Oh, and the fellas loved being pulled around in a blanket like that too. We have home videos of it. I love that babies keep it so simple when it comes to being entertained!

Jenny Galloway said...

I also steamed the fruits, it helps break down the sugars in them so they aren't as hard on the babies tummies. Basically so they don't get gas pains, or sour stomaches.

annie farrar said...

way to go girl!!!!! Isn't it SOOOO stinkin easy! Why waste money on jar baby food when the real deal is so easy! So glad you tried it!!! Hope Ruby girl loves it! Eastons favorite by far are sweet potatoes and peaches! Have fun!!!

bryan and jenna said...

love this! i will probably be asking you for tips in a few months!

Carman said...

We're going this route, too. Why buy jars of it when you can make it so easily, right? I like the idea that when Laine eats sweet potatoes, she's actually eating just sweet potatoes.

Leslie said...

This is so cute!!! Good job, mama!