Saturday, October 30, 2010

Excellence

The other day I got a good little eye opener.
I am two things:
1. not very patient (although I'm getting there)
2. frugal

So what does that equal? A quick trip to the salon we have in our house, me slapping on a cape, and giving myself the most terrible haircut. (I can't see the back of my head!)

I am also another thing:
not interested in impressing those around me. Not in the slightest.

HOWEVER
at church the other day my good friend Sara (who is also a hairstylist, we used to work together) ran her hand through my hair, looked at me, and laughed.
I said "I know, I don't care"
and she said "well...you should, you're a hairstylist"
and I said "the only clients I do now have been coming to me since before Kev and I were married, they know me"
and she said "still, Jess...excellence."

And that opened up the floodgates for me.
She's so right!

The next day me, Kev, and Ruby were in the dressing room at Gap watching Kev try some shirts on. And I looked at myself in the mirror and, oh Lord.
I had old makeup fallen under my eyes, no face makeup, my hair was terrible AND I had the top half pulled up on top of my head falling to the side a little because remember, I just don't care.
I was wearing orthopedic shoes for back support with skinny jeans.
And it just hit me.
Even Kevin agreed and he is so unphased by that stuff.

It's not at all about impressing people, it's not at all about keeping up with the Jones'. It's about having a spirit of excellence and putting yourself together and making yourself presentable.
Kevin put it beautifully:
"it's not changing your outside to try to be something you're not, it's showing on the outside who you are on the inside"
I love that!
I'm not a sloppy, let-myself-go, person on the inside.
I am certainly not a gobs of make-up, huge poof, sorority girl, either.
I'm a young little Momma that has my own style, and I can express myself however need be...
with excellence.

4 comments:

jennking said...

Wow this is a great post!!! Also I think your husband put it SO well!!! It's SO hard as a busy mom and all of our day to day tasks! You have a beautiful family and I love reading your posts! Also LOVE your cabinets!!! A huge task I've been wanting to tackle but it's huge and I don't have someone who could professionally do them! Boo!

Sheryl said...

got me thinking.....Kevin's comment was awesome. "Balance" is what I've been dwelling on. Everything in balance. Grace, love and thankfulness covering it all. Love you, sweetie

Chrissy Galloway said...

Ummm I love you. The end. :)

Leslie Shelton said...

Seriously, Jessica, will you be one of my girls?

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Excellence

The other day I got a good little eye opener.
I am two things:
1. not very patient (although I'm getting there)
2. frugal

So what does that equal? A quick trip to the salon we have in our house, me slapping on a cape, and giving myself the most terrible haircut. (I can't see the back of my head!)

I am also another thing:
not interested in impressing those around me. Not in the slightest.

HOWEVER
at church the other day my good friend Sara (who is also a hairstylist, we used to work together) ran her hand through my hair, looked at me, and laughed.
I said "I know, I don't care"
and she said "well...you should, you're a hairstylist"
and I said "the only clients I do now have been coming to me since before Kev and I were married, they know me"
and she said "still, Jess...excellence."

And that opened up the floodgates for me.
She's so right!

The next day me, Kev, and Ruby were in the dressing room at Gap watching Kev try some shirts on. And I looked at myself in the mirror and, oh Lord.
I had old makeup fallen under my eyes, no face makeup, my hair was terrible AND I had the top half pulled up on top of my head falling to the side a little because remember, I just don't care.
I was wearing orthopedic shoes for back support with skinny jeans.
And it just hit me.
Even Kevin agreed and he is so unphased by that stuff.

It's not at all about impressing people, it's not at all about keeping up with the Jones'. It's about having a spirit of excellence and putting yourself together and making yourself presentable.
Kevin put it beautifully:
"it's not changing your outside to try to be something you're not, it's showing on the outside who you are on the inside"
I love that!
I'm not a sloppy, let-myself-go, person on the inside.
I am certainly not a gobs of make-up, huge poof, sorority girl, either.
I'm a young little Momma that has my own style, and I can express myself however need be...
with excellence.

4 comments:

jennking said...

Wow this is a great post!!! Also I think your husband put it SO well!!! It's SO hard as a busy mom and all of our day to day tasks! You have a beautiful family and I love reading your posts! Also LOVE your cabinets!!! A huge task I've been wanting to tackle but it's huge and I don't have someone who could professionally do them! Boo!

Sheryl said...

got me thinking.....Kevin's comment was awesome. "Balance" is what I've been dwelling on. Everything in balance. Grace, love and thankfulness covering it all. Love you, sweetie

Chrissy Galloway said...

Ummm I love you. The end. :)

Leslie Shelton said...

Seriously, Jessica, will you be one of my girls?